Re: Alternator Problem

My Girlfriend has been told by our local garage that the strange

> whining noise (like the kind of noise you get when in reverse) is > caused by the alternator which is about to go and needs replacing. > > Does this sound right? > > Can anyone give me a run down of the symptoms of a dying Alternator. > > Thanks in adavance, > > Mr Winkey

Bearings do wear on alternators - but I'm sure the Mechanic has only given you a brief description of a fault that could develop - no mechanic can give a second by second account of how long this alternator will last, just by turning the engine over and listening to a noise - this alternator could last another year or two. Tell the Girlfriend to ask at another garage (second opinion )

Bill

Ex mech

Reply to
Bill

Front bearings, exposed to salt spray mist in Winter, do eventually go, with a whining noise. An overtight fan belt can also cause this. Try slightly slackening the fan belt slightly.

Local self-employed and recommened auto electrician might be your best bet. About 12 quid for bearing, 12 to 25 quid for fitting bearing if you take the alternator to him. 40 to 100 quid if he has to remove and re-fit the alternator.

Sure it's not the water pump?

New/replacement refurbished alternator plus fitting

100 up depending on how much they charge for labour.
Reply to
ato_zee