Re: Tipo brakes a bit dodgy

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:02:07 +0100, Hellraiser wrote:

Is there enough breaking fluid in the resevoir?
--
Grt. Frank

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:56:07 +0100, Hellraiser wrote:

thought of this. (I discovered that the fluid was ok, but that the sensor was broken, no warninglight when i took the sensor out...i ordered a new one.)
--
Grt. Frank

Sounds like there may be air trapped in the system as this makes the brakes feel spongey. A bleeding kit costs about a fiver from halfords and it's an easy job, jacking up the car and taking off wheels (one at a time!) is the most time consuming part. You also have to belled them in a specific sequence, maybe someone with a haynes manual can confirm it. If air has got into the systemthere may be a more serious problem such as leaks in the system although air can get in if the fluid level drops below minimum and then you re-fill the resevior or when maintenace work is carried out on the brake hoses or cylinders.
Mike

I'd check to see if the vacuum reservoir is holding vacuum, my Tempra can stop hard enough when needed. I've done a couple of 'emergency' stops and can certainly lock the wheels under braking.
I found that my '92 Tempra 1.8 certainly stopped when you wanted it to, and I sold it to a friend when I had finished with it and he certainly had no problems with it stopping - and it had done about 150k miles by then

Can depend on the quality of the pads and shoes. Car and exhaust centres seem to buy the cheapest unbranded and not necessarily the best. I can't remember seeing any Euro or other quality control/compliance symbols. AFAIK there is no defined quality standard for these vital safety components.