Red Key woes.

I don't have one. There, I've said it. I feel cleansed. I have one key for my 2001 "Y" Reg Brava and that key is blue. This makes me assume that I should have another blue one and the infamous red master key. I have also read that Fiat have done away with this system. Any idea when that was?

I am taking the car to Sweden on holiday in June and would hate to think that I could end up stuck simply due to a faulty key, especially as my RAC European cover specifically states that it does not cover lost or broken keys!

So, what to do? Can a spare key be cut from the blue key? If not I cannot understand why. The ECU can read the code in the blue key, so why would there be no system in dealers to read the codes?

I also have a long code on paper with warnings to never lose it as this can be used to start your car in an emergency. Has this anything to do with keys? What does it do and when would you use it?

Reply to
gazzafield

"gazzafield" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

Have a look here

John

Quick response this I'm afraid as I'm knee deep in other issues at the moment.

The Fiat Code System has TWO versions. Code System 1 and Code System 2.

Code System 1 has a Red Master Key Code System 2 DOES NOT!

As for which system your car employs is another matter.

A guide is Coupe 1999 T Reg had a Red Master Key. Punto 2000 W Reg did not. However a Barchetta 2005 05 Reg DID have a Red master Key.

Look at your car keys. On the key shaft just before the round moulded end you should find a symbol stamped into the key shaft. Looks like a 3 sided triangle with surrounding circles(semi).

I believe the Code 1 system keys have no accompanying number but the later Code 2 system may have a 1 or a 2 number stamped alongside.

Nick /////

Reply to
Nick /////