resetting ECU Fiat

I found this piece of advice concerning the resetting of the ECU of a Bravo (by disconnecting the battery for a while):

"Once it has being reset the car will feel completley different i.e the steering will be very light and it will have alot more acceleration. It takes the ECU Between 200 - 400 miles to learn the way you drive the car. so If you rag the ******** of it from the go it will except to be driven like that all the time and will feel sluggish when you dont but if you take it steady but every now and again "open her up" you will find the right mix for speed and acceleration, Now people say that it will drain your fuel economy, but i swear you will not notice, you might get 10 miles less out of a tank until it had finished learning."

Can anyone confirm this to be true? If so, is this the same behaviour I may expect from my '95 Fiat Tipo 1.4 ie SX ? Bought the car recently - and if it needs to learn my behaviour, I'd like to know this....

tnx! N.

Reply to
NoNomen

Its true to some extent. I don't think you should expect wild gains in power or anything else. In my experience the biggest noticeable differences with an ECU memory reset are idle speed/quality and shift points for ECU controlled auto transmissions. Then I'm not the most observant guy in the world, either...

I would like to know how the "steering will get very light". There are plausible explanations but most cars' ECUs don't have control over P/S operation. Fiat could have an electric rack motor or hydraulic assist modification capability, though.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

I think the some Bravo/Brava models were fitted with DualDrive electrical power assisted steering. i.e. electric motor drive on steering column as opposed to hydraulic assist on the steering rack.

Reply to
Nick Bailey /////