Rob (news@rstrang........

Rob,

I dont know if you remember replying to my post entitled "ERATIC IDLE ON START UP", but can i just say you are a F*ck*ng star!

You were unfortunately right about the head gasket having gone.

I tried my hardest to prove you wrong. I thought of everything, form the plugs and leads, dodgy lambda sensors, ECU problems, fuel pressure, injector problems, the list goes on and on. But the one thing that kept coming back was the head gasket.

I changed it and when i took off the head i found a nice puddle in the two centre cyclinders. The plugs and valves where white like xmas, looked nice though. lol

Anyway, just wanted to say cheers for the advice, all is well now, it purs like a kitten and starts like a dream

Cheers,

Mr Winkey

Reply to
MrWinkey

My thought process was the same - I wanted it to be a cheap and easy fix!

Appreciate that!

I wish I had been proved wrong though ;-)

Regards,

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Rob,

i would have never even thought of it if you hadnt have said it, so i would still be looking for the cause now.

My mate at the local garage didnt think it would be that and neither did most of the people i asked.

I understand why you would want to be proved wrong, but it is an easy fix (just time consuming) and was fun to do, especially as it was such a nice warm day on saturday.

Thanks again.

Reply to
MrWinkey

i got it right too, praise me :(

btw sorry i didnt notice that follow up post on your "ERATIC IDLE ON START UP" thread.

coolant should not come out of the coolant tank if the cooling system is working corectly.

Reply to
undergraduate-car-mechanic

Fair point - it was you that helped me with a similar diagnosis before the more usual symptoms appeared.

I was trying to think who it was when I replied to Mr W yesterday, but couldn't recall your name..

Cheers,

Rob

Reply to
Rob

LOL, sorry.

Consider your self praised!

Glad its sorted now. Changed the gasket on the sx but that was overhead valves, so had done the overhead cam before. I wasnt looking forward to messing with the timing, but when i actually got there, it was easier than the sx valves to sort.

Lets just hope i dont have to do it in a hurry again.

Any tips on very cheap mods for the little sporting would be appreciated. Mods to get a little extra power that is!

Cheers for your help,

Mr Winkey

Reply to
MrWinkey

any tips :) ive got a few free power mods i learnt over the years but nothing on a cinq :P i see k&n air filters and big bore exhausts but they dont really do much, i hear the best mod is the turbo kit you can get for them, id love too drive one of these.

undergraduate-car-mechanic

Now now, that is very cruel.

You could part with the mods and let me addapt them for the wee Cinq.

The turbo kit, my god, i can imagine that. It spins as it is if you put your foot to the floor.

The car is my girlfriends and she only drives fast when she is mad, like most women i suppose.

I would so love to get the kit and fit it without telling her. That would be funny.

Have you ever fitted one, and if so, is it easy? Do you have to cut into the exhaust anywhere?

Do you need to chip the car as well or will the ECU learn to give it more fuel?

She never looks under the bonnet and wouldnt have a clue what i was doing, i could tell her i was fitting a new altinater from the pic of that turbo they look similar enough to fool her.

He he.

Reply to
MrWinkey

ive never seen one of these kits myself but i did see one on ebay once.