running low

my fiat bravo 1.4 has recently started to idle low and the headlights are dim and the wipers are slow until you press the accelerator.and whilst driving and braking the engine will cut out and need to be fired up again this mainly happens whilst the engine is cold and once you have been driving for around 15 minutes it doesnt seem to cut out anymore. There is a warning light constantly on now on the dashboard which looks light an injector or spark plug of some sort can anybody educate me. also its been in the garage today and they didnt know what the problem was but advised me towards an engine diagnostics check (what is that)

thanks everybody

Reply to
bloodyhell

Could be anything but I would go for and ECU problem to begin with. Don't panic just yet. It could be that the ECU needs to be edcuated again. This is an easy proceedure that you can do yourself at no cost. If it works and the car remains stable for a number of start/stop and hours of engine running with no problems then the warning light on the dash should reset itself.

The ECU training proceedure is:

If this fails to work then you may have to go and have the "diagnostics" check. This is nothing special other than the garage plugging the "Fiat Examiner" into the system to read any fault codes. Fault codes also have attached data like time, engine speed, temperature, throttle position etc. If nothing conclusive is reported then they just reset the fault light and send you on your way to possible come back again and again till something hard and positive is recorded.

Most good independent garages have the equipment to do an ECU / fault code test. You don't have to go to a Fait dealer. Also you can buy kit and software yourself for less than £100 which will do/check most things. Worth while if you have several cars that could play up. After the cost of two checks/tests at a garage you would potentially be back in pocket again.

Go and try the retraining proceedure first of all. Nick /////

Reply to
Nick /////