Securing spare wheel in Fiat Uno

The warrant tester says that the spare needs to be anchored to stop it from acting as a projectile if the car overturns. What methods have been used?

On 2 Oct 2003 05:55:36 -0500, Brian Sandle

In both of my Uno's, Mk1 and Mk2, the spare wheel is anchored by a large washer and bolt, into a thread in the middle of the spare wheel recess.
He can't be serious? Fiat put an unsecured jack and toolkit inside the spare wheel. Just as hazardous. There is the carpet on top, then the parcel shelf. Load up the boot with a few breeze blocks and a bag of cement from the DIY - the spare wheel is the least of your worries.
Are you sure that anchoring the spare wheel is a requirement, or is he just trying to find something to fix for some more money? Get a strip of metal and drill a hole (or a big washer) plus a metric bolt.

This car is 1988, no thread or hole there.

I suppose the wheel has a bit more mass.

No, I went to a testing only station. He passed the car this time, but said next time it probably won't.
Get a strip

He suggested a strap across as being possible. I suppose that could hold the jack in, too. I feel funny about drilling holes in the car body.
I asked what might be next on the list of items and he said they are talking about shock absorbers.
snipped-for-privacy@shell.caverock.net.nz says...

I had a Formula 91 model, and I'm fairly sure there was a bolt to hold the wheel in place. There was definitely a hole in the bottom of the well (as I found out when a whole 5l bottle of oil leaked out under the car through it).
--
AG

Remove removes from address to remove anti-spam measures.

Just take it out for the test.
--
Skipweasel:- There's an old proverb that says just about whatever you
want it to.

IIRC the uno spare is under the bonnet? If so then it can't really go far. I have never heard of a loose spare wheel being any concern for MoT. If it is in the future then just leave the spare at home and take the car for a test without, there is no requirement for a spare wheel.
MrCheerful

In any case there is the non retrospective nature of MoT requirements:
"Original Design Original vehicle design characteristics are to be accepted."
MrCheerful

But is the missing anchor a manufacture fault?
I had the same inspector 6 months ago, but only this occasion did he ask me if the spare were secured. He was surprised when I showed him it and he commented it had never been secured.