Seicento/Cinquecento leaky fuel tanks

Just a note to those with Seicentos or Cinquecentos that have a leaking fuel tank.

A few years ago, I had a Cinquecento that was recalled for this problem (leak around the seam of the tank) - it hadn't experienced a problem yet, but the recall was done anyway.

Recently I bought a W-reg Seicento sporting. It stank of fuel a few days later when I topped the tank up. On examining the underside, I found the problem noted above.

Rang Fiat, who said that it wasn't under recall so wouldn't do anything about it, but they'd pass it on to the 'zone manager'. I didn't get anything more out of them for days.

I went to a local Fiat garage, who said that it was indeed corrosion of the seam, but that Fiat probably wouldn't pay for it as it was outside the range of VIN numbers that were recalled - however, I rang Fiat back and explained the problem.

No word back from them for ages. Then I decided to chase the garage, who told me that Fiat were expecting me to take it in and get the tank changed - the garage would then take photos of the old one and email those to the Fiat head offices, where they'd make a decision on it.

The work was done, the garage told me not to pay them for it - they emailed the pictures and Fiat stated that it was indeed the same fault, that they'd also extend the range of recalled VIN numbers. All well and good, until a few days ago.

I received a letter stating that they'd not pay for it, or get the work done (duh, you already did!) as it wasn't covered by warranty and was outside the range of VIN numbers covered. Now, I think that one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing and that there may be quite a few Seicento owners out there paying out for a repair that isn't anything that they should be taking responsibility for!

I had this done back at the end of July, and have only just got the letter.

Should I go to watchdog about this, just to get others alerted?

Reply to
Rexx Magnus

Hi Rex can you give me a bit of advice I own a 2001 y reg Seicento and recently when I fill the petrol tank over half full I get a strong smell of petrol, I was wondering if you could tell me the range of VIN numbers of the infected vehicles, reading the problems you have had with fiat they will probably tell me I am not eligible for a new fuel tank Thanks Pete

Reply to
peterdg

I don't have the VIN number for my car on hand, but mine's a 2000 - so yours probably wouldn't be covered. Best thing to do is take it to a Fiat garage, get them to take photos (and take some yourself) and then contact Fiat directly.

Fiat only made a decision once they'd had the photos emailed to them by the garage.

I need to see if I still have a copy of the photos that I took of the tank after it was changed - if I've still got them anywhere, I'll be sending them off to watchdog.

Reply to
Rexx Magnus

thanks i will give it a try good luck with watchdog,

Reply to
peterdg