Siecento braking problems

I have a 1999 Siecento which has failed mot on handbrake efficiency. My local fiat dealer have quoted me £380 to repair stating I need new shoe; linkages; back plates and lips on drums? Can anyone advise if this sounds like a fair evaluation?

Reply to
kwilks1

Sounds way too expensive. Last time I did any home DIY repairs to rear drum brakes the shoes cost about £30 I didn't need new back plates but these won't be too expensive. Drums can be relipped for about £10 each. Get a quote from a smaller independant garage as I guess they would probably do this for somewhere around £150 maximum. Fiat dealership labour rates are usually much higher than independant garages and Fiat genuine parts are very expensive as well.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew

difficult to say without looking at the rear brakes and seeing what can be salvaged and what need replacing, however i would sugest its unlikely to need rear brake back plates, unlikely to need shoes (otherwise it would have failed on rear service brake also as they both use the same shoes) it might need new drums, however even with a small lip its possible to get by. i would sugest that the rear brake shoe levers are probably siezed, probably just needs a bit of lubrication. sounds to me like they are overselling. excessively. take it to a proper garage.

Reply to
anon