Size and type of fitting on Bravo 1.8 drainplug?

Doing an oil change the weekend, what is the size/fitting of the drainplug on a 1.8 Bravo? Some think it's a 7mm allen key, others that it is something else entirely. Also, what size copper washer do I need?

Hellraiser..........>

Reply to
Hellraiser

think you'll find its a 10mm allen key, and you may be able to re-use the washer if its not damaged, if so get one from the dealer since any old washer will not do the job, it should be a copper or alloy one. steve.

Reply to
anon

What you doing on here Hellraiser? Deserting the forum or do you not trust Toms knowledge anymore ;)

Conrad

Reply to
Conrad Baker

Wouldn't that make it difficult to fit the new belt?

Ah, the 1.8 has no variator so I can't give an opinion on that :)

There's only 2 bearing caps to remove (which come off quite easily), the cam cover gasket can be re-used (so long as no oil is leaking from it and it is in good condition - just crank it down a little tighter), and considering the potential for damage if it is done wrong, I think spending a few quid on some cam locking tools is a good idea. After all, the camshafts won't move at all when the cams are wedged!

Hellraiser..........>

Reply to
Hellraiser

Not really as the locking belt sits on the rear side of the cam sprockets secured with buldog clips/clamps.

The variator is where the problem occurs!

These caps secure the cams for sure. But this can be done with other cam lock clamps without necessitating the removal of the cam covers, gasket and bearing caps.

Well one day I'll have to change my can belt on my Stilo Abarth, assuming I have it at 5 years/50K miles :-). On my Coupe 20V I've already had it replaced due to an auxilary belt failure (double poly-V belt = crap) which was ingested into the cam belt area and caused the cam belt to ride over the junk on the crank sprocket and throw the timing out. Fortunately my wife spotted the ecu warning light come on and stopped. On the Coupe the ECU warns if the camshaft to crank timing goes out of specification. Luckily prompt action meant no valves were bent. The car was recovered to the garage so I let them get on with it :-)

Nick /////

Reply to
Nick Bailey /////