Starter motors

The starter on my 1992 Tempra has started turning the engine over slowly at times. Sometimes it refuses to turn at all until I have turned the ignition key a couple of times.

It's not the battery, I fitted a new battery recently and it's got a good charge. The voltage dips down low as though the starter is absorbing power, but not turning.

Is it likely to be the brushes? My only past experience with this was when a starter on a Granada would either work, or not, and when it wouldn't, a bash with a hammer would cure it.

Reply to
Mark W

Im having a similar problem on an '80 124 Spider. Haven't found out the problem yet, but I suspect a poor electrical connection and or ground connection somewhere in the heavy battery to starter cabling. You can do a voltage drop test and a current draw test. The latter test if it shows a low current draw The starter on my 1992 Tempra has started turning the engine over slowly at

Reply to
Mike

It is the ignition switch. Try to connect the ignition without the switch. Or replace it.

SP Norway "Mike" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.att.net...

Reply to
Svend E Pettersen