stepper motor or idle control valve

Hi Just wondering what the stepper motor does? somebody mentioned to me the other day that sometimes stepper motors are called idle control valves. I'm
confused now.
Bill
Quite simply a stepper motor is a motor that moves in discrete steps. There are various sorts. In the type of use you are referring to you can just think of it a a servo motor that provides linear control/motion.
Couple such a motor to a mechanism for controlling the amount of air that can be used by the engine under closed throttle conditions and you have yourself an Idle Control Valve.
Does this help?
Nick /////

Cheers nick - certainly given me an idea now! Thanks
Bill