Stilo - first problem. Novel answer?

Hi all, I had my first major problem with my Stilo yesterday. The car stalled at some traffic lights and the 'Engine Fault' message came up and wouldn't go away. I got the car to my dealer who did a full diagnosis, cleaned up an injector pressure sensor and then re-initialised and reloaded my Electronic Control Unit. The result? I now have a car that is really smooth and the stalling problem and rough running I had has disappeared - it's like having a new car!

So - shouldn't the ECU be 're-initialised / reloaded' with the latest drivers (ha ha ha - the pun was intended!) every time the car is serviced?

Your thoughts?

Reply to
Paul E

would you be prepared to pay extra labour on the service for this doing? opinions ne1

Reply to
Mindwipe

Reply to
Spark

Hey,

I had the same ongoing "Engine Fault" error occur on my Stilo since I bought the car in September 02. Dealers only seem to be able to fix the fault for a few months, then it comes back again. Its usually the fault of an engine coil failure (1 or 2 of the 4 coils will go) which results in the car engine revving up and down, (usually at traffic lights at rush hour in the morning!) then cutting out. The car will get into a "get me home" which allows you to drive at about 20mph with lots of kangarooing, then its time to call the AA! I've had the Throttle Body replaced (apparently, i dont trust the dealer as far as i can trhow him!), which helped things for a few months but came back again a few weeks ago.

Had enough of it now, trading in for an MGTF this week as I have lost all confidence in the car and in the various FIAT dealers who are clueless on how to fix the problem (thank god for internet user websites!) Watch out for failing Air Conditioning too, the pipe that runs round the front of your car will eventually get fouled by part of the brake pipe and require replacement near your second year if you are putting in 12000 miles a year or more. Loved the car when it worked, but far too many faults for my liking - my last 2 cars were Puntos and I wouldnt but anything besides a FIAT, now I wouldnt touch one with a bargepole!

A good forum to read up on these faults is at :

Air Con Fault

Engine Fault

?TOPIC_ID=4943 Regards,

Derm

Reply to
Derm

Hi Guys n Gals,

Thanks for all the help on this fault with the air con. I'll go str8 to my dealer. About the Body Computer, had a new one of those to remedy the Engine Fault and Low Fuel Level warnings and that seemed to work OK for a while but I still get the stalling at low revs and pulling away at the lights, plus spurious Security Failure warnings so I'll add these to the dealer's list of things to do. I must say that my dealer is fine - it's the car that gives problems!

Cashman.

Reply to
The Cashman

Just got my Stilo 1.6 back from the dealer who sorted out the aircon pipe fracture and the ECU reboot, all under the 2 yr warranty. Found nothing wrong with the rear suspension.

Efficient courteous service, with a free courtesy vehicle for the whole duration. Can't recommend Tates of Portslade enough! They know the business and can get results from Fiat's zone manager.

My car is a 1.6 Stilo Dynamic - 52 reg. Will let the group know how I get on.

Just had to be courteous and patient myself but with the courtesy car that was easy.

Reply to
The Cashman

Hi Cashman,

Do you know if the dealer had to refill the gas in the aircon unit or was it just a case of replacing the pipe? Just wondering if the gas escaped with the fractured pipe or was it contained within the unit.

Thanks!

Derm

Reply to
Derm

Hello

i`m from Holland so idon`t no ive my spelling is correct,

I got the same problem with my Stilo Engine Fault I`t happens today and il go satturday on vacation to Italy. Does this problem also happens on the freeway or just by slowing down for traffic lights. Does this problem need to be fix or can i go with it on vacation.

Thanks

Marko

Reply to
centralperk

Hi Guys & gels,

Sorry - can't tell you if the gas was contained but I guess not. In any case, the dealer replaced the pipe with a strengthened one and made no charges at all. It all works fine now. Courtesy car was provided throughout.

Also loaded the latest ECU software FOC.

Rgds

Reply to
The Cashman