Stilo Headlamp bulb

Hi there. I have a 2002 Stilo 1.6 5 door Active. Recently the right hand side headlamp bulb in my Stilo died and I bought a couple of spares (knowing that the left hand one would go soon after!). After a lot of
fiddling around unbolting the washer bottle, I managed to get enough finger room to replace the bulb.
As foretold, within two weeks the left hand headlamp bulb blew but this is a different kettle of fish to fit! It is unreachable. My local Fiat garage charge just short of an hour's labour to remove the headlamp and replace the bulb. Does anyone have any experience of what needs to be done to remove a headlamp and any pitfalls that might be encountered?
Thanks
Paul

I've heard my Fiat-dealer removes the inner(plastic)part of the wing. Then you should be able to reach the headlamp from inside the wing. I'm not really sure though. Greetings, E-Cie.
Paul Everest wrote:

Ouch! I took my Stilo in for another problem today and casually asked them to replace the headlamp bulb. 50 later (inc bulb) I found out that the 'recommended' method is that the bumper is removed so that the headlamp can be removed.
Call me a cynic, but what about the rear lights...
Paul

Never thought about that "recommended" one! Welcome to Italian motoring! ;-) Oh, and the rear ones shouldn't be a problem, but then again... Greets, E-Cie.

the rears are easy. comparatively :)
Paul Everest wrote:

If one were to remove the bumber and light oneself, presumably the light would need re-aligning after refitting?
Mike
Mike wrote:

That's what worries me... although, having had Fiat replace the bulbs and realign the headlamp, I am getting other drivers flashing at me - I'm not at all sure that other people aren't being too sensitive as I have always regarded the Stilo lighting as below average
Paul
I've not personally tried to do this but realignment should not be a problem.
Park the car infront of the garage door and use masking tape to trace the outline of the beam pattern.
Change the bulb and then adjust to masking tape if required.
Nick ///// l

Nick ///// wrote:

Touch wood I won't need that useful advice!
Mike

As noted elsewhere in this thread, the recommended dealer method involves removing the front bumper, the battery compartment cover and part of the wing.
I've just had the misfortune of having this bulb blow and, on letting the dealer at it, I have been advised that one of the SIX non-standard (i.e. you won't have a tool in your toolkit) bolts securing the plastic battery cover has seized in place and that the only way that it can be removed will involve breaking the cover.
The upshot of this is that the entire battery compartment now has to be replaced (as Fiat have changed the design of this since my 02 Dynamic) at a cost of 58!
Oh, and in the process of removing the failed bulb, they've managed to break the fitting on the back of the headlamp that keeps the bulb in place - although they haven't admitted to this yet. I was informed of this with "We've got a bit of a problem, the headlight is broken and we can't get the bulb to stay in.". How the original bulb stayed in is therefore currently something of an unexplained mystery.
The dealer's comment: "We could stick it in with gaffer tape, but that's not going to last." would have had me rolling around on the floor laughing if it hadn't been so bloody tragic! It would probably outlive the rest of the car methinks!
As I was too shocked to question any of this as they bundled me out of the place in a loan car, suffice it to say I'm going to be asking for better excuses this morning!
Hope you have better luck!
This is the first and last Fiat I shall ever own.
Bloater wrote:

Hmmm not looking forward to mine going one bit (52 plate). It appears instead of the bulb being a replacable item the car is! That said I think the bolts securing the battery compartment are splined bits and are readily available from places like screwfix, indeed I have two! Bids anyone?
Mike
Standard spline keys is all you need. I'm puzzled at 6 though! I've had to remove my battery cover on a number of occassions 4 spings to mind.
Also, a suitable flat blade screwdriver will also work as the bolts are not standard tapered splines but what I call "rectangular peg" splines.
Nick ///// "> Hmmm not looking forward to mine going one bit (52 plate). It appears