Stilo - opinions

Hi,

Can some Stilo owners tell me their views on the Stilo please? Good, bad, indifferent? Would you buy one again? I have a Fiat Brava 1.6 that I need to get rid of in the next 6 months - rusted away underneath and just got through its MOT - so am thinking about the current 0% deal from Fiat. Having said that, I might just change make as well as model?

Thoughts welcome,

Thanks,

John.

Reply to
John Smith

still is a 50 mpg excellent condition car I have bought a Stilo Dynamic 1.9 TD multiwagon 03 reg I think its excellent, love the sat nav, Climate control sun roof etc May be it is not as comfortable as the Tempra but I am so used to that one. The engine is much more sophisticated and resembles a revvy petrol not a chugging diesel. I expect ten yrs and a couple of 100000 miles at least out of it (its a little more economical 54 mpg than the Tempra) service 15000 miles or 12 months which shall do myself after warranty period as have done on the Tempra. What more do you want BUY ONE

PK

Reply to
peter.kidwell

My Brava depreciated like anything since I purchased it new in 98. Also, last year I took it to a non Fiat garage for the first time and, boy, they could not believe how rusty it had gone underneath. They actually advised me to get rid of it then and there - this is a reputable garage and the owner is a friend whom I trust - but I needed to keep it one more year and, as I said in my previous post, I just got it MOTed but am looking to get a new car around the Christmas period.

I had been thinking along the lines of A3 Audi or Toyota Corolla or even Mazda 6 as they are supposed not to depreciate that much... but all cars depreciate and I wonder whether getting a Stilo on 0% over 4 years is a good way to go as they are cheaper than the 3 above...

Reply to
John Smith

You may find that the car will last this long and go this distance, but you will have to replace a lot of bits on the way.

How about something designed to last a bit longer between going wrong. Fiats were better made cars ten years ago.

Reply to
Brian Hall

What car do you suggest going longer between going wrong? Just curious.

Reply to
John Smith

I'd echo echo those sentiments. I get nearly 40 mpg with the 115 deisel around town and cruising at 75-80 on the motorway I get 50 mpg. It's not a hot hatch but is swift (0-60 in 10.something), the steering is precise and light, even withoiut the city function enabled (seriously who needs the city function!). The suspension is a bit soggy but that has the benefit of making for a smoother ride, unless you throw it into corners like a boy racer this won't put you off, it is a pleasure to drive. The eibach springs you can purchase and get fitted (£200 ish) will improve the suspension no end apparently. The looks are a matter of taste, I thought at first the 5 door was ugly but it has grown on me but the 3 door does look better. Unfortunately with 2 kids under 6, 3 doors is not an option. The boot is bigger than a focus and rear legroom is good for it's class. The equipment levels are high for the price but the more electronic gizmos the more to go wrong. I've seen lots of probs posted on the fiat forum

but I personally have had no difficulties or breakdowns in nearly 18mths apart fromthe rear seat handle came free but I fixed it in 2 mins.Fiats do depriciate quickly (as do many cars!), I would get a nearly new one from a car supermarket if poss. I paid £8500 for my 5 door active 1.9 JTD(115) 18 mths ago. It had 18 miles on the clock and was 6 wks old, the same car was £13500 from the fiat dealer. I have avioded the worst of the depriciation but the choice was obviously much more limited. At £8500 I've got a bargin,for £13500, I'd have bought a focus, even though they are as common as much. Mike

Reply to
Mike

I have a Fiat Stilo 2.4 20v abarth and I'm very pleased with it. I had no problems what so ever till now. And I think it might be just as good in built quality as the VW Golf, which is much more expensive. Also the line of the windows look a bit like from an Alfa so it's quite beautifull too.

Good luck with your choice.

HB

"John Smith" schreef in bericht news:HUVLc.764$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...

Reply to
Henk Bartol

Hi John

From my own experience with cars and from observations of others, I would say that many other makes are generally more reliable. We have had all sorts of problems with our Punto and it really hasn't done that many miles yet (

Reply to
Brian Hall

Reply to
jason asworth

I just got back from three weeks vacation with a rental Vectra -04. Picking up my Stilo at the airport when I got back was quite a fun experience. Suddenly it was akward to clutch and I was about to shift to 6th on the motorway...

But generally, it was a nice experience. Things I noticed getting back in the Stilo:

-Criss-crossing out of the car park is sooo smooth with the City function on.

-The Stilo is really big inside.

-Girlfriend commented that the Stilo's seats have much better back support.

-Much nicer cockpit in the Stilo. Quite dark but with a soft orange light.

But there were negative things as well:

-5th gear, 2000 rpm, full throttle. Absolutely no reaction. This is a

1.6 so it is of course an unjust comparison with the Vectra turbo diesel. (On the other hand, the Stilo might be weaker but it has a broader span and as long as you get over 3000 rpm, gearing through the acceleration will give you no surprises whereas the turbo diesel could suddenly land you on a flat spot when upshifting.)

-Tyre noise. Really annoying when you have gotten used to a relatively quiet car. I run Pzero Neros on my Stilo and they might not be the quitest of course.

-The afforementioned Pzero Neros (215/45-17) have the car almost swerving from side to side when there is just a hint of a rut in the road.

What will my next car be? If you'd asked me a year ago or even six months ago, I would have said anything but a Stilo. I have been unlucky with warranty issues again and again. So I've started to look for alternatives. But after having roamed a lot of the competing marques' stores I end up thinking that perhaps the Stilo isn't so bad after all? When it works, it works brilliantly. All the gadgets and solutions are just perfectly thought out and as mentioned, I really love the cockpit.

So even though I have been an unlucky customer, the way things stand now, my next car will be a red Stilo MultiWagon with glass roof, cruise control and nothing wider than the original 15" wheels (but I hope they have nice looking 15" alloys).

Reply to
Dan