Stilo Power steering failure

Hi all, The power steering fail light came up intermittently on my 1.6 Active (02 registered, 94k miles) but normally stopping the engine and then
restarting cleared it. Then the power steering stopped altogether. A quick trip to my local garage and they 'confirmed' a faulty power steering 'unit' but they did manage to coax it into life (which lasted about a day). They want 806 for parts and labour but I have this gut feeling that it could all be much simpler than this (e.g. a dodgy sensor?). Does anyone have any hints and tips about Fiat electrical power steering?
Cheers
Paul

Try http://www.fiatforum.com / a Few comments on the problem there. Consensus seems to be a weak battery, not necessarily a flat battery, or a failing alternator, being one possible cause. As it's intermittent worth checking the battery before forking out 806. Also as the forum mentions alternator, check it's drive belt. I've had an instance of an alternator belt slipping under load. No problems in the summer, come winter snow, headlights, cabin heater, rear screen heater, wipers, plus a few other things, made the headlights got dimmer and dimmer.
ato snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I have been getting a message on the dash "Alternator Fail" for a while and the wipers have been playing up in the winter. I will take your advice and check the battery condition and alternator belt.
Cheers
Paul

It may be that power steering places a heavy transient load on the supply, a proper batttery tester, one that puts a similar load on the battery should find it.
Let us know if it a was battery/alternator problem.
On 26-May-2007, ato snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

PS Fiat wipers are another story, there is an O-ring nitrile seal on the shaft, after a few years water at 70mph get's forced past it. Iron shaft in zinc alloy diecast tube is not a good combination, corrosion, and it starts to seize up solid. The black moly grease in the gearbox can cause slip-ring problems affecting whether the wipers run at all, even though the motor itself is fine. It's all fixable, and I now have a repair scheme. Problem with the moly is that the sliding contact filters out the moly particles, it forms a pellet, then starts to lift the rubbing contact off the track. The wiper does a few wipes when switched on, then stops.
Hello once again! Alas, it wasn't the battery condition or the alternator (both going strong). It was a faulty Torque Position Sensor (?) I didn't listen that intently when everything was being tested.
The long and the short of it is that with an MoT coming up very soon, 800 to find for the power steering repairs, high mileage, starting to use a bit of oil and the need to have a serviceable car that I have had to say goodbye to my Stilo and get a new car.
It's a shame really because the Stilo was incredibly comfortable and still giving me almost 40mpg.
Cheers