The ins and outs of Puntos

Hello, I'm a fairly new driver looking for a used car. I've been driving my mum's Ford Ka for the past 7 months since I passed my test, and having done a fair amount of research I've decided a Mrk1 Punto would be a safe bet.

I was just wondering if anyone would give their opinions of the Mrk 1 Punto (1994-1999 i think)

Also I'm a little confused with the specification marks:

S = basic spec SX = basic spec + a split/folding rear seat, remote-adjustable mirrors, a height-adjustable driver?s seat and steering wheel, a rev counter and body side mouldings ELX = SX + six-speaker audio, a centre console and front fog lamps

is that correct?

Also there's the number system

55 = 1.1 60 = ? 75 = 1.2 (?) 85 = ? 90 = ?

i hear theres also a 1.2 16v models...

any information would be appriciated

tim snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
tim_jedi

my mum's Ford Ka for the past 7 months since I passed my test, and having done a fair amount of research I've decided a Mrk1 Punto would be a safe bet.

Punto (1994-1999 i think)

height-adjustable driver's seat and steering wheel, a rev counter and body side mouldings

Hi Tim,

Got a Mk2 Punto 1.2 16v HLX myself back in November and used the AA's website and found it to be very useful have a look here and do a search, with the specs your looking for.

HTH

John

Reply to
John Scullion

(1994-1999 i think)

Got a 1995 60 SX myself... good car, no doubt!

height-adjustable driver?s seat and steering wheel, a rev counter and body side mouldings

as mentioned, I got an SX but no height-adjust whatsoever, but i got a centre console. I have to admit that I'm from germany, might be the specs differ from country to country...

In your equations 1st number gives the HPs, 2nd the the cylinder capacity (displacement) in litres. Im my case i got an SX 60 1.2 meaning quite _S_ome e_X_tras ( ;-) ), 60HP and 1242 ccm.

And baby, they're neat machines...

never mind

Eric

Reply to
Eric Gutz

my mum's Ford Ka for the past 7 months since I passed my test, and having done a fair amount of research I've decided a Mrk1 Punto would be a safe bet.

Punto (1994-1999 i think)

have a look here for good and bad points, and a model-by-model blurb.

55 = 1.1 60 = 1.2 75 = 1.2 85 = 1.2 16v 90 = 1.6 GT = 1.4 turbo
Reply to
monkey_with_a_chainsaw

forgot the link!

monkey_with_a_chainsaw

my mum's Ford Ka for the past 7 months since I passed my test, and having done a fair amount of research I've decided a Mrk1 Punto would be a safe bet.

Punto (1994-1999 i think)

MOST IMPORTANT: Don't buy a Punto without the red key! Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Hi Mate

I recently bought a 99 T reg punto 85SX which is a 1.2 16V. The car is sound and is very quick. It has electric windows, power steering, alloy wheels etc. I would really recomend buying a punto but only go for the 16V version as the standard 1.0 and 1.1 don't give fantastic results. I gurantee you will be very pleased with the 1.2 16V. The only way I would ever get rid of my punto is for a Mk 2 sporting. Happy Motoring

Reply to
Puntomad

Hi Mate

I recently bought a 99 T reg punto 85SX which is a 1.2 16V. The car is sound and is very quick. It has electric windows, power steering, alloy wheels etc. I would really recomend buying a punto but only go for the 16V version as the standard 1.0 and 1.1 don't give fantastic results. I gurantee you will be very pleased with the 1.2 16V. The only way I would ever get rid of my punto is for a Mk 2 sporting. Happy Motoring!!!

Reply to
Puntomad

Thanks guys!

Esp for the link to the Parkers web site - very handy indeed.

Hopefully I'll be joining your ranks as a Punto owner in the not too distant future!

Tim JD

Reply to
tim_jedi