Tipo 1.4ie clutch cable

Hello All,

I've ot a bit of a problem, the clutch on my father's 1994 Tipo 1.4ie seems to have disconnected itself somewhere.

I guess it's probably a broken cable as moving the clutch pedal up and down doesn't seem to cause anything under the bonnet to move. Problem is, I just can't locate where the clutch cable is.... the gearbox is at the right hand side as you look at the front of the car, but I can't figure out from Fiats diagram in the handbook where the cable should be?

If anyone has any advice on how to change the cable or if any soecial tools or knowledge is required, I would be very pleased to know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

Reply to
designelect

Sure it's a cable not an hydraulic clutch?

Try

have forums for specific models, click Technicalfor the tech forum for the model.

Reply to
ato_zee

Looks like it is.

I expect it's a real pain to sort out, I'll have a look at the forum for details.

Cheers,

pete ato snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
designelect

Not the easiest of things to bleed. But there could be a mechanical problem to fix before you get to the bleeding. First find the clutch slave (works the clutch) cylinder. Usually bolted on top of the transmission. Press the clutch and see if anything moves at the slave cylinder end. If clutch fluid has leaked out it's probably the slave cylinder seal.

Reply to
ato_zee

Hi All,

Thanks for the help.... just in case anyone else has the same problem with their Tipo hydraulic clutch cylinder (circlip type), go about it like this;

Take off the battery tray by undoing 4 bolts Locate the Slave cylinder underneath the battery tray which is fitted into a hefty steel bracket. Don't try to remove the cylinder yet.... instead, remove the bracket which holds the cylinder. This is done by first removing the bolt on the top of the bracket which holds it onto the engine, then remove the other two bolts which are difficult to undo, but the hardest one (nearest the front of the car) can be reached underneath the wheel-arch. Now undo the pipe which goes into the cylinder and put something underneath the pipe in case there is any fluid left in the pipe. Now you should have the cylinder and bracket free from the car and you must now bend back a metal tab holding the cylinder into the bracket and remove a circlip from the actuator side of the cylinder. Go to a main fiat dealer (Halfords only supply the version which is bolted on, not the circlip type) and buy a new cylinder... I paid 23.54

+VAT pounds for one from SLM near Hastings. (You can get them from Ebay if you want to for about 30 + delivery. Fit the new one in reverse of taking it off, but before putting in the battery tray, undo the brass bleed nipple on the new cylinder just a small amount and get someone to press down on the clutch (Making sure there is a lot of liquid in the brake fluid reservoir first) when the liquid squirts out of the nipple, make your assistant hold the clutch down and then tighten the nipple when you are sure all the air has gone out of the cylinder. Put the battery back on and it's done.... Takes about 3 hours to do.