Tipo 1.4ie fuel pump

One stuppid question ,does anyone knows ,should electric fuel pump work constantly or should it be off during engine run. My problem is fuel smell outside (sometimes inside) of my Tipo, even when
car is standing for a longer period of time ( over night ). I tought that maybe reservoir is too pressurized and vented thrugh vent line. Can't find any reason for that.