Tipo CV Joint Noise?

My Tipo has just started making a quiet 'clicking' noise when being driven.
When I accelerate, the noise is quiet clicks. When I decelerate, the clicking noise is very loud. When I push the clutch down (freewheel) the
noise stops. The noise is road-speed related and seems to get worse as I drive around corners.
1 - Is it the CV Joints? 2 - Are there inner and outer ones? Which ones are likely to be the problem? 3 - How much are new ones? 4 - Where can I get cheap ones from?
Many thanks
Adam H

driven.
Unlikely to be the CV joints as they rotate with the wheel so freewheeling wouldn't stop the noise. If the noise gets louder whren you brake it's probably the brakes that are at fault.
Mike
Mike wrote:

I doubt it. That wouldn't cause the noise to increase under acceleration and go away when freewheeling.
A CV joint that's a bit worn is likely to be noiser when under load (as JB explained).
I've got a dodgy CV joint on my right wheel, and it 'grinds' a bit when turning left under power. At the moment, I'm just not turning left too hard :-)
Cheers
Dave P
--
David Precious
http://www.preshweb.co.uk /

freewheeling

driven.
Very likely as it is louder when you corner. Dying CV bearing noise is also power related so power-on/off=more noise than free wheeling.

Outer. Which is louder left turn or right turn.

?
Speak to Recoprop Ltd in Luton. (google is your friend for the number)
HTH, JB

A worn CV joint will cause a clunk clunk clunk on cornering. As the noise stops when you freewheel, your problem is somewhere else.

Yes. The outer ones, next to the wheels, see more wear.

I've never asked.

Your local scrap yard will fit them for around 40 each.
___ www.clunk.net
On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:05:23 +0100, "Ex Alfa Adam"

IMO, it is quite likely one or both of the outer CV joints. The wear is only slight as it is only apparent when the driveshafts are under load and stops when you freewheel.
The first thing to do is jack the car up and inspect the CV boots. If one or more are split then it *might* simply be a matter of cleaning and regreasing the joint, and replacing the boot. If the boot is split then the joint loses grease and becomes noisy.
If the boots are OK then the joint is most likely knackered. It'd probably be cheaper to obtain a complete driveshaft for the affected side from a scrapyard. I recon the price would be around th 25-30 mark.
sPoNiX