Uno 1100 Fire Stalling

Hi All,
I wonder if anyone can shed any light on two problems I am having with my 1100 Fiat Uno (2000 Model - South Africa)
The first problem is stalling at stops etc.
The second problem is the headlamp system. (poor earth/relay)
The first problem has started very recently. When the vehicle is brought to a stop, the engine will occasionally stall. It is becoming worse. The vehicle was recently serviced and a new fuel filter fitted (not sure if it was original equipment). I haven't had a problem with the vehicle right after the service and it has run well so i don't suspect fuel mixtures. I drive with the choke engaged to stop the engine from stalling. If there is a fuel supply problem, what seals would i need to purchase before opening the carburettor. What to check for, ie float levels etc. I am going to replace the fuel filter as a first step. Any ideas?
The second problem i have involves the headlamp system. I have a situation where the headlights don't come on immediately after i have switched the lights on. I have to slam the drivers door or open and close the bonnet to get them to light up. The brights sometimes work, but when switching to brights the main beams go out completely until i switch back to main beam. The lights work better when it rains which all points towards a poor earth point or faulty headlamp relay. Does anyone know where i can locate the earth points for the headlamps and the switching earth point for the headlamp relay?
Any advise will be greatly appreciated.