Uno wiper died

Front wiper just died on Fiat Uno(old type-Uno's have only one wiper) today. It came in the middle position of windshield and stopped. Rear wiper works perfectly. I checked the fuses and some wires under the hood near wiper but without success. I think wiper motor had burnt out. Does anybody have any solution or experiences? I will take it to a car electrician next week because there's a holiday (in Croatia) tomorrow and a weekend. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Cuba

Strong smell of hot insulation from wiper motor may indicate water has rusted the shaft that moves the blade solid. You can, with difficulty, get it apart. Re-greased everything and in spite of the smell wipers fine for 2 years until I disposed of the vehicle. Other problem may be phosphor bronze spring contacts, 3 of them, working on tracks on main gear wheel, the one turned by the worm. One finger may have lost its tension, usually the one nearer the gears shaft. A slight bend to increase contact pressure and all is well again. One big problem was freeing the stainless bolts retaining the wiper assy. the diecast threads had corroded and frozen the bolts solid.

Reply to
ato_zee