Wheel bearing checks specs

Page 2 of 2
It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mike G" <mikgibbs@tiscali dot co
dot uk> saying something like:

Take your pick. Before I looked at this, I was thinking 'spalling, but 'flaking' might be more it.
http://www.ntn.co.jp/english/product/care/damage/index.html
--

Dave

dot co

Definitely the condition I was referring to, but I thaught the name of it was a more unusual one. Thanks for the interesting website. I'll now be able to use more technical terms than just, 'It's buggered' :-) Mike.
On 16 Apr 2004 00:19:09 +1200, Brian Sandle

snag is you also need to get the play in the bushes out of it as well.

It seems wheel bearing play is the same on every axis of the wheel. Without applying much force there is a small movement which stops with a gentle knock.
I loosely clamped about a 1 metre stick to the wheel with an F clamp. I wobbled the wheel (rear) with hands at 3 and 9 o`clock. The left wheel showed 2 mm movement at the end of the stick, and the right wheel showed 1 mm, approx.
For a 13 inch wheel that must give about 0.13mm play for the left and 0.07mm for the right. I did not use enough force to distort the tire and change the reading.
Thanks for all the comments. Anyone prepared to give comparative data?
Hi Guy

You can be one when you want, next time the babs come around with the Gattso summonses you just have to say "Do you have a warrant", then you're a warrant checker!
--

Regards, Steve S.

A small amount of play is perfectly in order with a fixed adjustment bearing like this. Ideally there will be no play (just). If the wheel bearing is quiet and there is a little play at the rim, then that is quite ok, ignore it.
Without the flywheel effect of brake drum and wheel I would not expect the hub assembly to continue to spin. (the grease is thick and sticky and will slow the bearing quickly)
mrcheerful

Thanks. I suppose that if there is too much play in these dual ball races that the balls will get hit a bit harder on bumps. With worn bearings the wheel may attain a greater sideways movement relative to the axle before the bearing suddenly has to arrest that.
Though that must happen with the adjustable bearings, too.
Porters manual says that the Uno sealed bearings usually last a long time. Though this Uno 45 car is 1988 it has only done 75,000 Km. It has not done much hard cornering, or indeed a great deal of cornering at all in its last 40,000. I thought I had read that the Uno 60s will wear out wheel bearings faster as they are the same bearings on a more powerful car.
If the break had once been rubbing and so heating the bearing would it have spoiled the lubrication and increase wear? If the grease had come out then the bearing would be very noisy, I suppose.
Does extra torque on the securing nut deform a sealed bearing at all? Would even the 160 lb ft in Haynes be squeezing the bearing enough to make it overheat and wear?

NOt unusual for them to die from corrosion when they get old

yes & yes but you'd notice the smell

Nope, it crushes the solid centre, you'd be trying to deform it without stripping the threads. NOt mounting it properly/cleanly/distorted hub might but 15yr's doen't sound unreasonable.

Yes the bottoms of the doors are a problem, and check near the hatchback hinges. But here with no salt on the road there are quite a few goodies around.

Though I am low Kms.
On 16 Apr 2004 00:10:25 +1200, Brian Sandle

Err yeah, I meant the wheel bearings, when the seals get old moisture gets in.

Bottom of the doors go because often the window sealing strip (that rubs against the wind up side windows) shrinks or is short to start with. Rain, driven by the slipstream, moves rearward to the door upright, then is forced down through the gap, and sprays around the unpainted lock area, before draining into the bottom of the door, where it capillaries into the door seam, as well as staying static in the not well ventilated door cavity.

No. The securing nut simply holds it in place - it has no effect on the play. Adjustable bearings have the nut done up only finger tight.
--
*Who are these kids and why are they calling me Mom?