1970 Camaro SS Info

I found a 1970 Camaro in a garage that hasn't seen the light of day in

20 years. It has SS 350 badges on the fenders and a small block and power glide in the car. However the badges aren't drilled in the same place on each fender and te primer under the paint is black, the rest of the car has Red primer under the paint.

What I have found so far:

12 bolt f41 suspension Automatic 3/8th fuel line original black tail panel Gas Pedal bolted to floor

I was wondering what I should look for to verify that this is a SS and if so is it supposed to have a big or small block in it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Bill

The basic SS package had a 350 ci small block under the hood. You had to upgrade if you wanted the larger 396/402 engine.

To verify if it is an original SS you'll need the Protecto Plate or the body build sheet.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to

Here are the RPO and VIN codes for the options you list:

If the car really is a V8 the third digit in the VIN will be a 4.

6th digit of the VIN will be a 0 denoting a 1970 build. 7th digit will be a N if assembled in the Norwood facility and a L if Van Nuys

Suffix:

CNE: 307ci, pg (pg=powerglide0 CNK:350ci, pg RPO L65=350ci, 250hp Turbo-Fire V8 RPO F41=F41 suspension RPO D80=Rear deck spoiler RPO G80=positraction RPO Z21=style trim group RPO Z27=super sport package( this would include 300hp 350cid engine with bright accents, power brakes, special trim, hood insulation, F70x14 white letter tires, 14x7 wheels, black-painted grille, hide-a-way windshield wipers with black-chrome finished arms and articulated left-hand blade, SS emblems on steering wheel, fenders, grille and rear deck.

Black was not offered as a color from the factory in 1970.

Reply to
d666e

Reply to
d666e

Thanks for all of the Info. The paint code comes out as Silver with a black vynle top, the Black color I was referring to was the tail panel only the rest of the car is silver. The engine is out of a taxi by the suffix code. Funny though it doesn't have the outside ring on the damper infact there isn't even a place for the outside ring it looks more like just a connection point for the pullys. It is a norwood car and definately 1970 with a v8. Can't find a build sheet and the tag Doesn't list Z27 its blank in that part of the Tag. What I read somewhere that if it was a big block it would be a mandatory SS and this area could be blank. Is this correct? Any thing else on the Car I could look for to find out what it is?