1970's firebird motor info needed

I tried searching but couldn't find anything really helpfull. I have a 1970's firebird t-top sitting in a field in Ottawa..It was givin to me as
the owner no longer cares for it, and hasn't been running in 2 years. His son says it has a 6.2 in it.. I think it is a 6.6 I am deciding weather this car is even worth towing to kingston or not....I have tons of people saying it has a 403 at best.. I am hoping it has the 400sbc in it. Anyone know what motors came in these cars ?

Depending on the year, it could have a 301,(326 unsure),350,400,403 Olds,or a 455. If it's a plain jane and has a V-8 then it probably has a run of the mill 350ci. I think for myself that it would be worth it no matter what engine came in the car. Most parts can be found as OEM or Re-pops. It just takes the cash and a will to finish it.
what is the 6.2 he is talking about ?.. did tehy make one ?

He is mistaken about that. GM never made a 6.2 litre engine. The 6.6 badge was worn by both the 403 Olds and the 400 Pontiac powered cars. The 400 Pontiac is the most desireable of the two. No 400 sbc was ever offered in any f-body car.
Gary

If you look at the VIN it will tell you the model and engine. For late 70's vintage, 77 to 81 which would have T-Tops, unless you have the rare 76 Limited Edition.
For example:
2W87W9L000000 2 indicates Pontiac. (Note, 81 VINs are preceeded by 1G2 instead of 2) W87 indicates a Trans Am. Other models are as follows: S87 is a base Firebird, T87 is an Esprit, and U87 is a Formula. W indicates the engine, a 301 in this example. The 400 is a code Z while the 403 is a K. L, R, or X is a 350. Y was also used for the 301. G and H were Chevy 305's, and A or C were 6 cylinder models. 9 is the last digit of the model year, in this case '79. For 1980 and 1981 this would be A or B respectively. L is for the production facility that built the car. L is for Van Nuys, CA while N was for Norwood, OH. The last 6 digits are the sequential production numbers.
If you have a Z code you need to look at the block to see if it is a W72 400, the highest horsepower model, unless it is a '79 where all 400's were W-72's.

I had a 79 as I recall there were 2 engines gm400 was popular but pontiac ran out of engines and replaced them with the olds. 403 that is what mine had Chevrolet wrote:

says...

T-Tops were available in the 1976 50th Aniversary T/A(limited production) and all starting in 1977 so mostly likely the car is of the 77-81 years. 1977 was the first year GM began widely use "corporate" engines. In a Firebird from 1977-79 you could get either a Buick 231 V6, 305 Chebbie, or a Pontiac 301 or 400. From 80-81 the Buick and Chebbie were still avaible but the Pontiac 400 was dropped and replaced with the Turbo 301 and a 265 cu. in. version of the 301 was introduced.
The only GM 6.2L that I know of is the 6.2L V8 Diesel used in trucks.
Dennis Smith