1970 Trans Am oil pan removal

Hi, I need to know if anyone's removed an oil pan from a 70 Trans Am (or any

2nd gen TA with a Pont 400, I guess) without taking the motor out. I talked to a local shop, and the guy said that his manual stated repair&replace times as 3 hours for the oil pan, without removing the motor, but it sounds like he's never done it himself on this type of car. Have any of you?

FYI, the reason I'm doing this is because supposedly the ring(s) in my #8 cylinder seem to be stuck due to some detonation, and that one cylinder is now burning oil.

I was told the procedure is to take off the [passenger side] header/head/intake manifold (I've done this in the past, so that's not an issue), take out the hei dist to allow room to lift the engine, remove the motor mount bolts, put a bottle jack under the damper (supposedly it won't bend the crank..), lift the motor, and put wood blocks under the motor mounts to make sure it won't fall on me. And then just unbolt the pan. Is there any unexpected hassle I may be running into this way?

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
Amritpal Bath

Never lift a motor by a pulley or balancer. If anything use the oil pan sump, and a block of wood. With a floor jack you can lift the motor off the mounts until you can get some 2x4 scrap wood between the frame & motor side mounts. The wood will safely support the motor while you work underneath it.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

There is a special tool that bolts to the tangs on the timing cover to lift the engine for oil pan removal. There's a picture in the service manual.

Lifting the engine on the dampner will ruin it.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

In article , Amritpal Bath writes

I jacked the engine up with a large flat piece of wood under the pan itself, and then used 3 inch cubes of wood under the engine mounts. The car is a 78 TA with a 400 Pontiac. Make sure the mating face of the pan is flat, not pulled up round the bolt holes through over tightening, before you put it back.

Reply to
David Toft

Thanks for the tips everyone, I wouldn't wanna ruin my engine. Dennis, is there some common name for this tool? I don't have a service manual for this car.

Reply to
Amritpal Bath