1987 camaro fuel pump?

i need to know if i can hook the positve wire coming from the fuel pump to power if it would turn on and work? also if i hooked it straight to power besides a fuse and some type of switch would i need to use a
relay? is there anything else i should know about running it this way? thanks alot for any help. rich

If your using the stock in tank fuel pump, it is already on a Relay under the hood. The pump will have power when the key is on, and no power when the key is in the off or lock positions.
If your going Drag Racing, and the NHRA requires a inside shut off switch, you just need to find the key on wire from the relay and put a fused switch on that.
The stock intank pump will flow around 60 PSI of fuel pressure. If your going Carb, use a after market fuel pressure regulator. The car is already plumbed with a return line to the tank.
Im not sure on an 87 V6 car where the fuel pump relay is under the hood, or which wire is the key on power wire. Charles
all the fuel pump wiring and all other wiring going to the computer has been removed from under the hood. that incules the fuel pump relay and fuse. what i have done is hook the electronic fuel pump to a switch, then to another switch that i hid so that my car can not b stolen if some one as to try they would not find how to turn on the fuel pump, making it harder to steal. i wired it with a inline fuse and then the switches to the power when the key is on. with the electronic fuel pump i hooked up a fuel pressure regulator with the return line. i think this set up will work better then even the mechanical fuel pump. thanks for all your help.

You should still use a relay. If you still have the stock relay and wiring connector, you could just splice it in. Charles
a mechanical fuel pump is not got enought presure to suck threw the electronic fuel pump. so i am just hooking up the electronic pump.

Hmm.. I guess I was just imagining my 83 running as it was starving from fuel as it tried to suck fuel through the electronic fuel pump.. maybe something's wrong with your mechanical fuel pump.