1987 Firebird Starting Problems

I just recently purchased an '87 firebird and started rebuilding and I have a problem with starting it. It's cranking and hitting like it's wanting to
start. But I'm not sure what's keeping it from fully starting. I've thought about " Is it getting enough fire? or is it getting enough gas pressure? " But I'm not really sure what's wrong with it, so if anyone could help out, thanks.
It has a 2.8 V6, and a 5 speed transmission.
I just read another post within the forum about another 2.8 having the same starting problems. It'll crank until the battery wants to go dead, hitting like it wants to start but to no avail. I originally thought it was the Fuel Pump, so I installed a new one. Then I checked the Ignition Control Module, but I think the car is getting enough fire. Should I check the Mass Air Flow sensor as well? Would a hole in the return fuel line cut down fuel pressure enough to cause it not to start?