1995 Trans Am Leaking Oil From Manifold

My 1995 Trans Am LT1 with 6 speed is leaking oil out the back of the manifold. Its running down over the bell housing. Was told by the owner of a speed shop, just from my description of the oil leak, its
due to the intake manifold seal failure. Unbias option from some who has been in the business 30 I meet at a Thanksgiving dinner.
Question is this a common problem, a big buck dealer repair item or something a $ 300 would take care of at the dealer. Is it something I can drive around with for a few months, topping off the crank case of course.
The TA has 98K miles, I'm owner # 3 having picked her up 4 years ago with 82K.
Thanks.
Oil leaks in that area are quite common. Repair involves a ~$50 gasket set and several hours of work. Labor costs depend on the billing rate. Perhaps you could shop around. There's no reason a pro shouldn't be able to fix it in three hours. $65/hr * 3 hours + $50 = $245 + coolant and shop supplies. Of course, that would more than pay for a shop manual and all the tools needed to do the job on your own.
It shouldn't harm the engine to drive it around that way as long as you're sure that's where it is leaking and it isn't leaking very much and keep topping off the oil level. It'll make a big mess, though.
-rev
Thank you, yes it does make a big mess. I know the pattern of three little oil pools on the payment by heart now. I did consider going at this myself, but have no experience with EFI systems. Figure the risk is very high to FUBAR the process then pay a lot more to have a pro do it. Just have to save my pennys.
Take care.

Actually, its a much simpler process on the FI cars to replace the gaskets than on a carb'd one in my opinion. Its like anything else you do in life...you make sure you know where everythings going BACK when you start. And its a very simple process these days. You can set up a vid camera, and record the entire process, noting where each connector goes, or you can take digital pics..it looks like a hell of a mess, but remember....man put it together, man can fuck it up taking it apart too..LOL
Thanks, Its the FUBAR part and explaining to the wife and dealer how I screwed it up. This is coming from a guy who could a quick rebuild on a Pontiac 400 Q-Jet in under an hour including checking the timing afterwards.