1995 Z28 5.7l LT start hard

Camaro - after sitting for more than an hour, must crank for 10-15 secs, Tried turning key on and waiting and then start- no change.

- Changed fue filter

- Tried injector cleaner

- Clean air intake and throttle body

Fuel pump or regulator or other?

Kid is going to burn up starter at this rate.

snipped-for-privacy@batteriesareus.com

- Message posted using

information at

OPTIMABATTERYSTORE

Could be leaking injectors. Check the fuel pressure after it's been sitting for an hour. It should stay steady the whole time.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

I have a 94 that does the same thing. I had it checked and the mechanic thought it had a bad check valve in fuel pump that keeps the gas from draining back into the tank when the engine is not running. If I let pump run then turn the key off and back on again several times it starts right up. Haven't fixed it as he said the fuel tank has to come off and the car is not a daily driver.

bob

Reply to
bob

The regulator could do that, and it's under the hood. No idea how to tell if it's the pump or the regulator.

Good call on cycling the pump. OP should give that a try first.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

if the car kicks over i'm thinking it is not a fuel problem unless there is power loss on hills. did you ever run the fuel pump dry? if not i doubt that it is the fuel pump.

here are some problems i've had with that problem:::

i'm thinking it can be a starter relay problem if it kicks over in three cranks. another problem can be the starter solnoid. on my 89 riviera, i just replaced my ignition switch in march because of the same symptoms too. it was inside the steering column and wired downward ending at under the dash. i'm glad the mechanic did it!

good luck with diagnosing this one. (;

Reply to
jayy68

Thank you all: I first thought fuel pump - and know how much fun that can be. I think I'll start with fuel pressure test (have tester) - and the proceed with regulator and maybe injectors. It really sounds like it i loosing pressure when sitting. I told him to turn key on and sit for 5-1 secs before starting, and doesnt change anything. Which surprsied me that pump whouldnt have it pressurized by then. IF i has air in the lines after drainig back, would it have to purge that which would he helped with the cycling?

Thank

-

Message posted using

information at

OPTIMABATTERYSTORE

If it is losing pressure because one of more injectors are leaking, then it is flooding the engine while it sits. You have to crank it so long to clear the rich mixture out of the cylinders before it'll fire.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light