1999 Firebird Trans Am headlight problem

Hello all. It's been a while since I've been in here. I used to have a

1989 firebird, and I loved the car enough that when I bought my first new car, it was the 99 TA I own now. Car has been garaged winters and has only 35000 miles on it and now the drivers side headlight motor is apparently not shutting off when it should when I turn the headlights off. There is a loud unpleasent sound that goes on for about 5 seconds which I am guessing is the motor grinding away. Also, oddly, the lights now toggle whenever the alarm is set/unset. So every time I lock and unlock the car the horrible sound now happens. I assume it's only a matter of time before the headlight motor eats itself. Can anyone tell me what this might be? An ECM going bad maybe?

Thanks for any suggestions!

-J

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

Jason Coleman

Off hand it sounds like it is probally a problem with the motor or should I say rather with the plastic gears that are inside of it. Try the following link for more information and a possabile fix:

William Allen Morgan

I'd go with this, which IMO is the permanent solution. What you are hearing are the worn or broken teeth of the factory vinyl gears (1 per headlight) continuing to move, when they should lock. If you replace these with the brass gears, I would wager the teeth will never wear again. There are instructions on how to do the repair at that same link.

~w~

Reply to
Weland

I'll look into the gear replacement. But would the gears would also cause the behavior I'm seeing(the headlights toggling when I set the alarm - something they didn't used to do when setting the alarm)?

Thanks!

-Jason

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

Jason Coleman

Reply to
William Allen Morgan

Thanks!

-Jason

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

Jason Coleman

That doea seem strange.... but since both problems started at the time... I think I would try the simple fix first. In other words, try the gear replacement first and hope the other problem goes away at the same time. Good Luck!!!!!

Reply to
William Allen Morgan

Yeah that's what I'm going to try. I'll see if the gear fix takes care of it. Thanks!