1999 Firebird Trans Am headlight problem

Hello all. It's been a while since I've been in here. I used to have a 1989 firebird, and I loved the car enough that when I bought my first new car, it was the 99 TA I own now. Car has been garaged winters and
has only 35000 miles on it and now the drivers side headlight motor is apparently not shutting off when it should when I turn the headlights off. There is a loud unpleasent sound that goes on for about 5 seconds which I am guessing is the motor grinding away. Also, oddly, the lights now toggle whenever the alarm is set/unset. So every time I lock and unlock the car the horrible sound now happens. I assume it's only a matter of time before the headlight motor eats itself. Can anyone tell me what this might be? An ECM going bad maybe?
Thanks for any suggestions!
-J
Off hand it sounds like it is probally a problem with the motor or should I say rather with the plastic gears that are inside of it. Try the following link for more information and a possabile fix: http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/index.htm

are the worn or broken teeth of the factory vinyl gears (1 per headlight) continuing to move, when they should lock. If you replace these with the brass gears, I would wager the teeth will never wear again. There are instructions on how to do the repair at that same link.
~w~
says...

cause the behavior I'm seeing(the headlights toggling when I set the alarm - something they didn't used to do when setting the alarm)?
Thanks! -Jason
What do you mean by "toggling"???? Are they trying to close and open??? Or is it just the sound of the motors.????

says...

That's it exactly. The lights open and then close as if I had turned them on and then off. This happens any time the alarm is set or unset. It's not something my car used to do. And of course since the lights are turning off it's accompanied by the gear grinding sound. Both problems started at the same time as far as I know, which could be coincedence, but I had assumed they were somehow related.
Thanks! -Jason
That doea seem strange.... but since both problems started at the time... I think I would try the simple fix first. In other words, try the gear replacement first and hope the other problem goes away at the same time. Good Luck!!!!!
wrote in message

says...

of it. Thanks!