2000 Camara v6 5spd losing power and rough idle

I dont know jack about cars, thats why Im here. Just looking for possible diagnosis so I dont get effed when I take it to get fixed and they say they replaced the flux capacitor and it costs me 1500 bucks. Anyway here is some car history. Daily driver 76,000 miles oil change regularly. The ignition has been replaced once. Air filter replaced a couple times. Body damage from hitting a deer in March 05. Right after that is when it started losing power. It didnt happen very often in the beginning maybe once or twice a week. I would start the car and it would idle for a few min and every few seconds it would seem like it was missing a spark or something. When I would drive it it would kinda chug when getting going but after it had warmed up it would be fine. Fast Forward to now and it would continue to get worse and more frequent from March to Nov. I havent done anything to get it looked at cause there are still days when it drives just fine or after it has reached temperature and shutoff then started again later it doesnt do it. Now though it does it constantly doesnt matter if the engine temp is hot or cold, starting in first gear or running in fifth gear. It does seem to not do it when Im just cruising along on a flat road and dont need to accelerate. But when I get to a hill or need to pass and push on the accelerator it spudders chokes and shudders. Hopefully its not a death rattle. I thought maybe an injector was clogged/dirty so I put some fuel injector cleaner in the tank. Didnt help. The check engine light never comes on and the light does work. When it shakes and chokes it does gain power but its so bad that I let off the gas and it stops but I cant maintain speed when I do this. Any questions or suggestions let me know.

Reply to
nteeter

Bad fuel pump/filter maybe?

-Geno

1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L auto w/T-tops (aka "Transmaro") 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L auto w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L (360) 5-speed NO T-tops
Reply to
KITTvsKARR

I don't know much about American cars (but do own a Z28) and this sounds like the ECU is trying to recalibrate after losing a signal (probably knock sensor or O2 (or lambda) sensor) and is dropping to failsafe mode.

Could be as simple as the cables got disconnected during the incident with the dear. In any case, a Chevy dealer should be able to get a diagnostic code from the ECU quickly and hence get the problem.

For more free advice - I suggest you try

as their forum is always buzzing with good advice.

Cheers,

Graham

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Graham Sewell

Took it in today and they two plugs had fouled out, the gas filter was nasty, serpentine belt was cracked and needed to be changed and finally the catalytic converter was not working. catalytic converter was under

80,000 mile warranty so its only going to cost me 515 w/labor. Cant wait to have my baby back, even if she is a v6. Most car I've ever had.
Reply to
notevenashadetreemechanic