350 Chev or Pontiac Engine - how to tell

Hello ~ New to this group, New to Firebirds! Just bought a 1978 Pontiac Firebird (Esprit) that was somewhat modified for drag racing. I know it has a 350 engine in it and I know that wasn't the original engine. But how do I tell if it is a Pontiac or a Chevy engine? Also, does anyone know of a place to buy "original" or replacement parts such as the speedometer that doesn't work? Thank you! Sean

Reply to
Ehrbird

A Pontiac V8 will have a space under the intake manifold with a cover underneath. While a Chevy will be all one piece. Lots of parts show-up on ebay.

Reply to
JimV

Reply to
Gary-KQ6RT

A Pontiac has part of the exhaust manifolds formed into the heads, and the manifolds bolt to these extensions. On a Chevy engine, the manifolds bolt on the flat sides of the heads.

Reply to
Jasper