67 Camaro Headers

Hi,
Has anyone on the list had experience with installing headers on a 67 Camaro? I'm using a 350 cid Chevy crate engine. I'm having problems with the headers clearing the spark plugs on the drivers side. I don't know what
type of headers they are. They were on the car when I bought it. It seems that the drivers side of the engine has limited space to run the headers because of the location of the power steering box.
This car also has factory A/C.
Can anyone recommend headers that fit well for the above car?
thanks
just bang the old ones with a hammer.... just kidding. make sure they aren't bent at all and the plugs are correct, some plugs are a little shorter than others. I have no idea how much room you are working with, but a small block should have plenty of room in a 67.
Thanks,
I removed the header (drivers side) and mounted it on the old engine block. The plug wires clear on the old engine. I'm guessing that the newer heads have the plug holes slightly closer together (cylinders 3 & 5).
The plugs are the shortest ones that I had (AC Delco R44LTS ). All the other plugs I had were longer.
I'm wondering if these headers were generic and had to be massaged to get to fit. Someone dented in #3 tube to clear the motor mount bolt (never noticed that before).
All the headers I've seen for a SBC in 67 Camaro are for non A/C cars. Has anyone seen ones that would clear the evaporator case?

aren't
than
block
I'm guessing that the newer heads

It was some time in the late eighties they moved the spark plug holes closer to the exhaust ports. I believe it was when they went to the center bolt valve covers. Do the headers actually interfere with the plugs, or are you just having trouble getting a socket on the plug? you may have to resort to using a wrench. - Gary
Hi Gary,
You're correct. The heads do have center bolt valve covers. Moving the plug holes closer to the exhaust port has caused, in this case, an interference problem. The headers do not interfere with the plugs but #3 plug wire touches the tube and #5 wire cannot fully seat. I've decided to get new headers. These are too bent up.
David KG4QCC

closer
On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 13:10:19 GMT, "David R. McCoy"

You may end up going with a set of shorty headers. I've been contemplating this very problem myself. The headers that I have on my 68' presently do fit with a hairs breath of touching the a/c casing but I have no idea who the manufacturer was. Maybe I'l just have them sent out to get a ceramic coating on them. I was looking through a Classic catalogue the other day and saw a few headers but don't remember if there was a set for a/c cars. Check out hedman headers, they have a set that will fit but you might have to get another bracket for the a/c pump. Dougs Headers is another manufacturer that may have what you need. The only stamping on my headers that I can find is " EAGLE " and a #- 102001, I think that they are at least 12 years old and used to be chrome.
...Ron -- 68' RS Camaro 88' Formula Bird
http://www.frontiernet.net/~rscamero
Some are wise and some are otherwise
Hi Ron,
I have the same problem with my A/C case. When I had the engine out I removed the case to patch the holes in it. If I remember correctly the #4 & #8 tubes were the ones that had damaged the case. On my car they didn't touch but were within 1/4" or so. I will be getting new headers soon but right now I just bolted these on and slightly dimpled the tubes that were interfering with the plug wires.
I'm going to look for a local source (Central Florida) so that if they don't fit I don't have such a big hassle of shipping them back.
Have you used any of the header wrapping/insulation products? The manufacturers say that they decrease underhood temps. From what I've read there are drawbacks too. Wrapping them too tight won't let them expand when they heat up and one header manufacturer stated that wrapping headers will cause the header itself to warp because the header was designed to operate within a certain temp and by keeping it from releasing heat it goes above that max. design temp. The header wrap manufacturers say that properly installed, they work as described. Who is right?

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 01:45:05 GMT, "David R. McCoy"

What the header insulation wrap usually does is allow moisture to stay trapped thus shortening the life of the headers. The thing to do now to keep more heat out of the engine compartment is to either buy or have new/used headers covered with a ceramic coating. As long as you don't chip the stuff off the headers will last a very long time and they allow more heat to leave through the pipes and not end up in the engine bay. As a side note, the coating is very attractive and easy to maintain.
...Ron -- 68' RS Camaro 88' Formula Bird
http://www.frontiernet.net/~rscamero
Some are wise and some are otherwise
Hello:
Moroso motor mounts help with the engine movement, that causes the A/C case breakage.
Don't under any circumstances use the aluminum trans mount by Moroso though! One bad bolt or a crack in the mount or pirch, bye tranny!
I hope this helps a bit!

the
Hello:
On a first generation Camaro, there are three factors:
1: The motor mount pirches on the frame came in three different spacings from the firewall; Big block, Small block and Small block with A/C all of which none are available.
2: header manufacturers are like tire manufacturers. No two of them use the same rulers!
3: In my day when I played in the 70's when Camaros were a dime a dozen, I remember that Chevrolet put Hedman in the trunk, and Hooker were supposed to be the best? "Cough!"
I recomend that you get a set of Hedman or Hooker, (Curse me for saying so!) Listing all the options you have. Also, Accel makes a really short plug for the Turbo heads that are on your crate motor, and the angle plug heads.
They're actually a good set of plugs, but I never used them over 5,000 miles. Also, when tuning a drag car, we never use a set of plugs more than one pass, ans Accell uses the nickel plating like Champion, so we can get an accurate plug reading.
They just don't make the heat ranges that champion does.
I hope this helps.
Now let's see if the trolls flame me?

Ok,
Thanks for the recommendation.