'68 Firebird alternator upgrade help!!!!

Hi all. We are looking to swap out the original style alternator in my father-in-law's '68 Firebird for a newer GM unit. The original alternator is externally regulated, and we are experiencing voltage regulator problems, and the alternator is really weak also. We would like to do away with the externally mounted regulator, and swap in a GM "one wire" alternator. But we need to know what changes need to be made to the wiring to do this swap. Specifically. What do we do with all the wires that are now connected to the voltage regulator?? Can we just connect the wires together?? if so, which ones do we connect to which ones???? Does anyone have a part number of an internally regulated alternator that will bolt right up to the original bracketry on the 400cid V8??? Any and all help is greatly appreciated, especially a wiring diagram!! -----Jon H.

Reply to
Jon Holbrook

Check out this site.

This should help you out

Gary

Reply to
G. Neigum

If you want a clean looking set up Call up National Part Depot and tell them u want the plug from a external reg to an internal. it cost me about 20 bucks and it let my "Gen" Light work.

Chris

PS u can buy the Alt from them too.

Reply to
Chris