'68 front spindles - same for disc and drum?

Are the front spindles on a drum brake car the same as a disc brake car just with different mounting for the disc brake calipers? (1968 Firebird)

TIA

Reply to
Mange

No they are not. Disk Spindles are a totally different. Yet Disk Spindles from a 1967 to 1969 Camaro, Firebird, or Trans-am are the same.

As are 1968 to 1974 Nova Spindles (Nova, Chevy II, Pontiac Ventura, Buick Appollo, Olds Omega, 1974 ONLY GTO).

A-Body Spindles work *Only* if you change the steering arm. A-body is Front Steer, F & X Body's Are Rear Steer.

A-body Spindles work from 1968 to 1972. (malibu's, El-camino's,300 deluxs, pontiac T-37, Tempest, Lemans, GTO, Buick skylark & GS, Olds F-85, Cutlass, and 442, 1970-1972 Monty Carlo & Pontiac Grand Prix).

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Charles,

Question for you since you brought up A bodies...

I have a 1969 Custom S (think Tempest or Lemans)

Scroll down...the gold one.... What's the easiest yet cheapest way to upgrade front POWER drums? Any idea? Car is fun but man...no WAY stops like my Camaro....then again the car *IS* 36 years old.

Performance Years and AMES have a front disk brake conversion for about a grand....slightly less. Involves replacing the master cylinder even for power drums? Apparently boost from power drums not good enough for power disks.

Car has working A/C as well. Too bad CBHVAC Steve ain't around anymore. Had some questions on that car and my stang and converting both to an alternative coolant for the A/C.

Thanks!

Jimmy

Charles Bendig wrote:

Reply to
Jimmy

The easiest most cost effective way is to find a disk brake car, and swap all the parts. I get $450 out of a compleate spindle set. Thats both spindles, the rotors, & calipers.

I might have a set in inventory. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig