700R4 Trans questions

I will be changing the engine in my 1988 GTA. Original is a 350 TPI @ 230 HP. The engine I'm putting in is a 11:1 350 I built that makes 350 -360 HP (yes, it runs on 93 octane) for the street. The cam has 224 degrees duration @ .050 with lobe separation angle of 108 degrees. The lowest stable Idle RPM in neutral is right at 1000 rpm. Remember this is a 700R4 lockup converter. What stall speed converter should I use? Which brand? TCI or B&M? Any brands that are junk? Will the stock transmission handle it? Any mods that I need to make to the transmission? Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated. Andy W. p.s. For the flamers, yes I have already run-in the engine in an S-10 at the track, did some very nice 1/8 mile burnouts at 6500 rpm...WITH a Quadrajet.

Reply to
Andy Warren

Call the cam maker and ask them the recommened stall for the car & final drive ratio.

I would pull the transmission (easy to do with the engine out), and have it gone thru. I would have the Torque Converter Clutch Switch (enables lock up) replaced, and the servo's redone. Personially I would go as far as B&M parts kit for it, and get the valve that lets it in to Over Drive at WOT.

I would also keep the TPI set up and set up the injectors, the ignition system, and get a chip for the computer to allow proper fuel & spark maps for the modifacations. With your set up you will want to either have your exhaust manifolds extrude honed, or get headers. You will want a 3 inch exhaust system. You should also switch to poly mounts while everything is a part.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Charles: Thanks for the info. I pulled the governor and trans pan today. I'm sure the trans is either a rebuilt or was rebuilt by a professional. The inside is spotless, no trace of varnish or sediment in the usual hiding places on the control valve. I have the kit to recurve the shift points upward to prevent lugging the engine. I thought about getting the TV valve and I may still get it. I'm a little leary of putting over 340 ft-lbs of torque thru the OD section until it can be "bulletproofed". The rear end is a 3.27 ratio. Math puts the ground speed over 135 at 6500 in direct (3rd) anyway. The TPI setup won't fit the HP engine because it is an earlier block with the good ol' camel-hump cylinder heads. I will be running full length headers, a crossover, and dual 2 1/2" flowmasters out ahead of the rear tires (remember this is Alabama). But don't worry, the TPI motor (still fine) is going in a friend's '53 Chevy pickup of all things. Curious about the poly mounts. You are talking about motor mounts right? I will need to limit the torque movement of the engine as much as possible. Air cleaner close to the hood and very tight exhaust clearance etc. Where can I find these? Thanks again; AW

Reply to
Andy Warren

Polyurathane mounts can be found at

or
If there are any 4x4 hop up part stores near you, they may also have them. They replace the rubber inside the clamshell mounts. You should also look into purchasing a transmission mount and torque arm mount while you're at it.

I looked the part up on Jegs.

The ones I have on my firebird are made by energy suspension. If you're going to go hog wild with it, you could go with a solid mount..

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Thanks BRUCE!!! I don't know why I didn't see those. They are exactly what I'm looking for. AW

Reply to
Andy Warren