'79 Firebird Engine Swap

Has anyone done a Pontiac 301 to a Chevy 350 engine swap? I have the

350 SBC mounted in, but the engine seems to be sitting too high in the compartment. I can shut my hood as long as I take the air cleaner off. Is there a special mount or adapter that I am suppose to be using to get the engine to set low enough in the compartment? I would prefer not putting on a cowl induction hood.... Any help would be greatly appreciated....
Reply to
jrober0614

What manifold is on the motor? I swapped a corvette motor into a friends 6 pot camaro. We used a 1" carb adaptor to fit a 600 CFM Holley and a big 14"x2" air filter. This actually came flush with the top of the bonnet(hood) He then decided to go with one of those huge aeroscoops to cover it.

My 305 fitted with the stock air cleaner no problem .

Reply to
Terminal Crazy

Reply to
jrober0614

I can't help you with that I'm afraid, I've never been able to play with a big block over here. OTTOMH though, the motor can't be much higher than stock or the tranny (auto ?) wouldn't fit under the tunnel. Does the tranny sit level or tilting down at the back ?

Another thought is a lot of stock air cleaners are shaped so sit lower than the top of the carb and the lid can be very close to the top of the carb. Although they restrict air flow, they might give you an inch or two.

I had the Edelbrock performer dual plane which I'm sure is inches taller than the stock 2 barrel manifold. If you wan't me to check, let me know and I'll root it out & measure it.

Reply to
Terminal Crazy

Edelbrock's catalog or their website should have that info on it. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig