81 Camaro lock up converter

Hello all,

I have an 81 Z28 with a Turbo 350C. Currently, it is causing problems, locking up immediately after going into 3rd gear. Sometimes when cold, it will lock up and stay that way even if you downshift to first, which is a problem as you can imagine.

The question: Rebuild the 350C with a new lockup converter and solenoid (it's due for an overhaul, regardless of the solenloid/converter problem) or pop a few extra bucks for a TCI or B&M 350 turbo without the lockup? Opinions? One transmission rebuilder told me that the regular 350 turbo is more reliable and tougher than the lockup version (350C). Another told me they are the same, sans the lockup. I'd like more opinions on this. The engine is a mildly modified 350 cid with around 300 hp. I run 1/4 miles at the track on occassion. The rear end is a 4:11, so the lockup would come in handy since I drive on the street and interstate occassionally.

Any input on this subject would be appreciated.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Zissou

Get a aftermarket converter with a Stall Speed matched to your cam. Get a Rebuilder to use a B&M rebuild kit. Keep the lock up.

Untill the rebuild, disconnect the wiring for the lock up. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

...or even wire a KEYED lockup switch under your dash--keyed so no one but you could use it--they may forget to 'switch it off' when they approach a stop sign!!! BTW, with the 4.11's, have you considered a built 700R4 od--70% of 4.11 would give you a road gear of 2.78--w/o the lockup engaged? Would do wonders for cruising rpm's plus a boost in fuel economy on the hwy. My neighbor bought one last year for his custom '55 Studebaker--t/c et al & guaranteed for 12 months for a grand. Sure shifts strong. Just my 2-cents. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Thanks for the input, sorry it took me a while to get back.

Disconnecting the wire does not alleviate the problem, it does the same thing connected or not. I also purchased a B&M lockup controller months ago thinking this would help. This gizmo is supposed to let you control the lockup of the converter based on the speed of the car. There is a transducer that you put inline with your speedometer cable. But, the lockup is not controlled externally due to the malfunction inside, whatever it may be. It's the solenoid or the converter, and external efforts have failed to do anything to help.

Yes, I have considered a 700R4 and am still thinking about it. But we're talking twice as many beans...which may be feasible. My research up to this point has told me to definitely trash the lockup 350C. They are generally not used for performance applications. 700R4's have been worked over and are up to the task. Now my choice is between a regular 350 TH or the 700R4. Fortunately, I don't drive this thing much so I have the luxury of thinking about it for a while.

Reply to
Steve Zissou