86 TA questions

Hi,
I'm getting ready to begin making my 86 TA into a nice car. She needs lots of cosmetic work (body, paint, interior). How do I tell what tranny and rear
are in her? The enigines a 305 V8 LG4. Anything special I should know about the engine before I get it rebuilt?
She's got really nice gold rims that are /constantly/ dirty w/brakedust, any suggestions on how to prevent that?
Also, I called the dealer to get the seatbelts replaced and they told me I had a bad VIN. What's up with that? VIN is 1G2FW87H8GN207692.
Any general comments or suggestions are welcome :)
Peace.
Pastor X
LG4 is the 305 4bbl (non H/O engine)
Tranny is the GM 700R4
nothing special about the engine....as long as its in good shape.
Jason 86 T/A WS6 305 LG4 V8 700R4 transmission
Thanks Jason! I'm trying to decide whether to get it re-built (around $1500) or put a new engine in, say a 350? Would I need a new tranny and rear if a 350 will fit?
Pastor X

$1500)
No, unless you have a reason to believe this tranny is going to fail. The 700r4 is actually a pretty good tranny. The 10 bolt isn't the best rearend but I've heard of many people putting out a lot more torque over stock and not having a problem. I've got over 350 ft-lbs of torque at the rear wheels on a stock 3.23 10 bolt rear.
a 350 will fit, it's a direct bolt in. There are other factors that need to be considered before you just swap in a new engine; ECM, fuel induction, sensors, wiring harnesses, emissions, etc.
-Bruce
$1500 for a rebuild, talk aobut getting it in the ass. You can buy a decent crate motor for that much and it comes with a 36,000 mile 3 year warranty. I doubt they even give you a year for the rebuild. Save a little extra cash and just get the crate engine. It'll be woth it in the long run.
Brian

Got that right... I don't think I paid $1500 total to rebuild my Poncho and it got the works (needed a new crank and two new rods), minus assembly beyond the bottom end. I'd go crate as long as you don't care, or are going to keep the block... Otherwise, shop around.
--
Zang! Who is that, rampaging on the mountains!
It's the VampireMuffinMan, hands clutching a meaty axe! And with a vengeful

A/T
There were GTAs with 305's and a 700R4's as well. They were the GTA's that came with T-tops. There aren't any 350's that came with T-tops, GM thought the frame couldn't handle the additional torque with a T-top roof.
So the limiting factors were the T-top and the 350. If you had a 350, you couldn't have T-tops or a manual transmission. Otherwise, you could have any other combination.
This is probably a typo but the T56 hadn't come out yet, the 3rd gens were still stuck with the sucky T5.
-Bruce

that
thought
I stand corrected, apparently in 1987 GM did build the GTA with T-tops though there weren't many made and they weren't supposed to be offered.
Also if it's a GTA it shouldn't have the side scoops on the front fenders, otherwise you have a re-badged T/A.
If you have the RPO code Y84, it's a GTA, otherwise it is not. I thought you could go to the dealer and get the VIN and it would give you the RPO codes? Could be too old to do that now.
GOod luck,
-Bruce
Yep I had a 1987 GTA metallic flame red with 350.... t tops and the small fender scoops.
Bruce

you
have
were
you sure about the T-tops?
I almost bought an 89 Formula 350 w/ T-tops recently....