88 TransAm GTA Help??

Hi guys... I own a 1988 Trans Am GTA with about 67000 miles on it, T-tops, 5 speed, 305. I basically let the car sit in the driveway the last 2 years or so, hardly driving it. I decided I want to start fixing up the car somewhat. Looking at it tonight, I see there is fog on the bottom of the windshield. I assume that means water has leaked somewhere inside and has condesned on the windshield. I know my back hatch leacks, right into that little compartment in the back. I want to replace the entire compartment in the back in the next few weeks and replace all the seals. Can anyone tell me which seals are good? What part numbers are the little compartment in the back? Also, I want to check the body for any rust, but I do not htink there is any. What spots in the car should I look more carefully at? Are there any other things I should look for before I start to restore this car somewhat? Thanks for any and all help you guys can give me.

Reply to
Joseph Arseneau

The floors. If you've had a damp carpet for two years odds are your floors are hurting.

Reply to
SBlackfoot

If it's been sitting for a few years, you might also want to pull the underdash panel on the passenger side and take a long, hard look at the heater core to see if that's leaked at all.

An easier check would be to simply remove the passenger floor mat and rub your hand all along the carpet...if it feels "greasy" or "oily" at all, then your heater core may have sprung a leak during it's downtime.

Just had to replace mine for the second time (on an '85), so if you've never changed your heater core, it might be something to take a look at.

Good luck with her! ;)

Reply to
ElectroPig