91 firebird 3.1 V-6

My daughters 91 firebird quits and will not restart for a while. It will turn over but not start? I l went to pick up her car because she said it quit on her again. We just had the ECM unit replaced, the mechanic thought that was the problem. I went to the car and tried to start it and it would only turn over. I winched it on to my trailer. I then went to turn off the key and thought I would try it and it started? Anyone have any similar problems? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
hoppper9

Either a loose/broken cable or VATS (not sure if VATS allows it to crank)

Does the fuel pump prime ? Does it smell of fuel ? Have you checked for a spark ?

Reply to
Terminal Crazy

It would not be VATS as that would not allow it to crank. I would recommend checking the ignition module, fuel pump and the coil packs (IIRC the 91 v6 had coil packs already). It sounds like either fuel delivery or spark. You also probably should check the different sensors. One to check would be any/all crank position sensors, since if they fail once they get hot there would be no spark or fuel since the computer needs those pulses to time both spark and injectors. I know that the coil in the distributer in the v8's can go out and can show exactly those symptoms, but I'm not sure what takes it's place in the v6's as I don't think they have a distributer.

Reply to
Cy Welch

Reply to
hoppper9 via CarKB.com