91 Firebird 5.0 TBI 150K won't start - no fuel nor spark

My 91 Firebird 5.0 TBI was running great, then died suddenly. SES light on occasionally - code 22 (Throttle Position Sensor low voltage) for a few weeks with occasional erratic idling. Now, will crank, but injectors don't fire, and engine won't fire at all with gasoline poured in. All fuses good. Replaced ECM - no change. Fuel pressure fine. Suspect spark control module - but would that shut down injectors, too?

Seeking guidance. SL

Reply to
smokinleroy

Without spark it will not inject fuel

Reply to
69SScamaro

I have not seen the ignition module do this, but the sensor coil on the top of the distributer shaft (just under the rotor) will cause this. When my ignition module went out, I got no spark but it still fed gas, but when the sensor coil went, I got no injector pulses. I would suggest replacing the entire distributer, as it was a royal pain to disassemble the distributer to replace the sensor coil on mine.

I had the ignition module go out on me at about 75 MPH going up to Reno (thank goodness for AAA) and the sensor coil went out in my driveway. I'm pretty sure I'm using the wrong name for the coil, but I can't recall what it's called, but it provides the timing signals for the computer to use to time spark and injector pulses, and with it bad nothing happens.

Reply to
Cy Welch

What are the codes that the car is reading right now? The TPS is a very important part of the control system and without it I don't think the car will start. A code reader or a better laptop reader can show you what is actually going on with the engine control system.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to

Right. The fuel pump shuts off when it receives no "reference pulse" from the dizzy. IIRC its a safeguard.

The "pickup coil."

Reply to
Anthony T.

Yep, that's it. Just kept having a senior moment there. I am really hoping that Chevy really does bring back the Camaro for 08, as I have planned for several years to get myself a NEW pony/muscle car for my

50th birthday and that is the year. (actually 07, but that's when the 08 model will come out in). If it turns out to not be true I am going to have to jump ship and get either a Dodge or a Mustang since GM's only performance car now is the Corvette.
Reply to
Cy Welch