94 firebird - Should I buy this car?

I have my eyes on a 1994 Firebird. The car is selling for CAN $5999 (firm) and has 120,000Km. It is in good condition. I took it to my mechanic, and a few minor problems he found are all going to be fixed as per the safety certification. The car is a V6.

The only real problem I noticed is that some of the driver seat power controls do not work for inflating the seat. Also, some of the steering wheel buttons to control the radio also do not work. Other than that everything else is good. The body and the engine are very clean, and the dealer is also throwing in a 2yr/unlimited mileage after market powertrain warranty.

I really like this car, but I need some advice here. Do you guys think its a good deal?

Thanks much in advance.

Sid

Reply to
Sid

$6000 is a bit high but thats because of the extra warranty

Reply to
S.S.I.N.

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up buying the car last night. I also managed to talk them down another $300. Even though $6000 seemed OK, something about it made me feel it was a tad high for an almost 10 year old car.

Oh well, get out the champagne and welcome me to the Firebird club!

Reply to
Sid

Sid, wouldn't you really rather have a '74? ;^)

Reply to
JusMe

I know I would...

The Vampire, "Muffin Man"

Reply to
The Vampire Muffin Man

No disrespect to the '74, but I would rather own a newer one. I was in my teens and growing up while the 81 and up were popular, so I got hooked on these generations of the car.

Reply to
Sid

You can't disrespect this car,

no offence taken. The Vampire, "Muffin Man"

Reply to
The Vampire Muffin Man

Nice car, Vamp. Looks exactly like mine.... except for the sunroof, color (mine is now black, no decals), and I have a Flowmaster exhaust. 455 auto with 69k on the clock. Just love the '74!! :^)

Reply to
HoDad

a '74 with a hatch roof? also your rear spoiler looks like '79-'81 vintage

So basically it's exactly like yours in every way except the roof, color, engine, transmission (400/4-spd)... *laughs* But yes. Love the '74. I don't like the wrapping rear glass, and of course no cat! I've got nearly 120k on the clock, but starting to restore it soon. Hope it won't take too long. I miss driving it.

The Vampire, "Muffin Man"

Reply to
The Vampire Muffin Man

I'm going to find out about the roof when I strip the crappy paint that's on it (see if they were installed, or if the roof is a transplant), but the spoiler is correct and it's a #'s matching car.

The Vampire, "Muffin Man"

Reply to
The Vampire Muffin Man

Oh yeah, and I have turbine style wheels on mine. So... other than the listed items, our 74's are Exactly the same! (big grin) ;^) HD

Reply to
HoDad

HoDad Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

I missed this thread.

One big plus about the 74's is that they're exempt from smog testing here. (Any car over 25 is. )

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck

Best part is no cat. required in any state...

The Vampire, "Muffin Man"

Reply to
The Vampire Muffin Man

The Vampire Muffin Man Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

Yup. You can put in whatever engine you want, and run no cats.

That is my dream......

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck

Ahh... but there is something magical about that original, numbers matching engine. Of course, if some dweeb yanked it and stuck in a cheby or whatever, then I guess a guy is SOL, and then more power to him to build his dreams. HD

Reply to
HoDad

HoDad Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

Personally, if I were to get a numbers matching one, and I wanted to go with simething larger, I would keep the original engine and make sure I could return it to original condition later on.....

But that's just me.

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck

I'd rather keep the car together. Simple reason is that I want it to stay that way. If I want a car with more power than what I have, I'd have to do too much to the chassis to bring that up to par. I'd rather just get a car that's not original and build it for the track and, for that, I'd probably go Camaro and drop a Rat in it.

The Vampire, "Muffin Man"

Reply to
The Vampire Muffin Man