95 firebird hard starting problem

last week after coming out of the store my firebird wouldn't start,it turned over fine but acted like it was out of fuel,finally got it to start with about 1/2 throttle but ran very rough on 5 or 6 cylinders for about

15-30 seconds then it smoothes out and runs fine.I changed the fuel filter and disconnected the battery to clear the computer and reset everything but it still does the same thing.The check engine lite does not come on and nothing else shows up.Once I get the car started it runs fine, I drove 200 miles with no issues in all conditions but I did't turn it off,when I got home I shut it off and the same thing happens.

-- Message posted using

information at

ltdann

Ignition side ie coil / probably Ignition Control Module

Fuel side: leaky injector or fuel pressure regulator maybe

Get it scanned to discover any engine codes.

HTH

Reply to
Terminal Crazy

CAREFUL! Bear in mind as you check for codes or attempt to scan, that model--assuming 5.7 with TPI--came with OBDII although it has the older OBDI aldl-socket. Scanners need a special cable to access. HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Nope, '95 LT1's were still OBDI. Mine is anyway. 1996 onwards are OBDII

Reply to
Terminal Crazy

Reply to
sdlomi2

erminal snipped-for-privacy@sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk

It could be the Opti-spark distributer is going. This is the one weak link in the ignition system. They are expect to fail around 100K miles. If not 100K then by 120K for sure. Do a google on Opti-spark, lots out there on it.

If you have it changed out, replace the water pump as well. Once it goes, it can take the Opti with it.

The other person was right about OBD I. The 1995 was the last year for OBD I. But for some reason, GM stuck in the OBD II socket under the dash. Its worth going to the dealer to scan the codes.

Good luck, post back when you have the bug nailed down.

Reply to
brxsep

> More information at

sunbum1