97 z28 Camaro - right rear brake light problems

I am having a problem with my right brake light. This is a 97 z28 Camaro If I do not have the running lights on and press the brake I get a faint light but it is the regular filament not the brake filament that lights. If I have the lights on it looks OK, same filament lit. If while the running lights are on I press the brake the right brake light does not light and the running light goes out. That is on a single bulb. (brake and running light). The other running lights stay on.

If I measure the voltage I only get about 6 to 8 volts on one of the 2 prongs on the bottom of the socket. If I press the brake light The other leg gets voltage but just 6 to 8 volts.

On the functional left hand socket both legs on the bottom have voltage going to it at 12 volts. I do not get that. And when you press the brake it lights correctly but the voltage stays 12 volts on both legs with just the lights on (no brake)? I excepted to see one go on and off with the brake. but that side works correctly.

The right side seems to be low power. So I am thinking that the ground is bad or there is a short. Or the socket is no good. Or the wires going to this side of the car have a short somewhere. But it does not blow ant fuses. I tried to cleanout the socket with air pressure but it did not help the problem.

I also tried taking the blue connector off of socket with the blk, brn and blue or grn wires and then tried pulling on the wires. They seem very snug. Do these wire connectors come out? Is this brake light socket replaceable? How do these GM connectors work?

Any help would be appreciated. I am pulling my hair out.

Also my fuel gauge light is out. Is that accessible from behind the dash or does the dash have to be pulled out?

Reply to
Stacey

The problem was the ground wire in the light socket. It was a poor connection. I was not able to pull the connector out as it is some strange type of connector. But I was able to get it to connect better and seems to have resolved the problem for now. I may need to get a new socket or used one from a junk yard and splice it in.

Still wondering about the dash lights...and how to replace them.

but it is the regular filament not the brake

lights are on I press the brake the right brake

light). The other running lights stay on.

on the bottom of the socket. If I press the brake

to it at 12 volts. I do not get that.

volts on both legs with just the lights on (no brake)?

or there is a short. Or the socket is no good.

does not blow ant fuses.

blue or grn wires and then tried pulling on the wires.

socket replaceable?

Reply to
Stacey