97 z28 Clutch cylinder broke!?

97 z28. 6 speed. The clutch pedal just went to the floor, made a popping sound, and then clutch won't disengage. Also, there is something rattling in side the flywheel or something like that, as it
is rattling a lot. So, is this just the Slave cylinder? And, how easy is it to fix? I believe it is outside the tranny, so you don't have to drop it? And, do I have to buy a new slave and master cylinder? Clutch is good, never slipped. (It is a centerforce clutch, so it should last a long time.)
Thanks.
BlackZed.
I just changed the master and slave on my '96 last weekend. If all you need to change is the slave it should be a pretty easy job, although you will need to get any parts out that may be tumbling around in your flywheel. If you pull out the starter and sheet metal cover on the front of the bell house you may be able to fish them out.
I got mine from http://www.rockauto.com/ for $36.99
There is a small roll pin that holds the line in the end of the slave cylinder. I would recomend tapping it out before you remove the cylinder from the transmission. The line will then easily pop out.
Make shure you read and follow the instructions that come with the new slave for filling it with fluid before you install it.
After you hook up the new slave you will need to bleed the rest of the system before you bolt it up to the transmission. The way you do that is to remove the cap on the resevoir and have someone watch for air bubbles topside while you slowly push in on the actuator on the end of the slave. You will probably need to do this between 10-20 times to get all the air out. I would also recomend using a rag folded several times as a cushion between your hand and the plunger, as it will be very stiff and somewhat painfull on you hand.
Good luck and let us know how it works out! Gary

Turned out to be the clutch fork!! Master and Slave are ok. Where on earth can you find a clutch fork for a 97 Z28? Nowhere, except the dealer, thats where! Have to wait a few days for them to order it in. Too long. I thought the clutch fork was the strongest part of the clutch but, it broke. Anyways, when I get that part from the dealer (no one else has it), I'll be up and running again.
On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 01:22:24 GMT, "Gary - KQ6RT"