99 Trans Am

I have a 99 Trans Am. When I step on the gas it no longer smoothly accelerates, it lugs down and the check engine light comes on if I push to hard on the throttle.
Any ideals appreciated. I'm thinking catalytic. Any way to read the codes without a obd2 reader? Ron
If you have an Autozone near by they will let you use a code reader for free. If not, you can buy one for under $100. They really are a worthwhile tool if you own a modern car. I'm certain you will have many more opportunities to use it.