advice on shipping a transmission

Does anyone know how to ship an auto transmission within the US? I have a TH350 for sale, I live in Wisconsin, someone wants to buy it in San Diego. Is there a crate you can put it in? What does it cost to ship something this heavy?

Thanks

Terry

Reply to
Terry

Ever time I have had a transmission shipped to me. They have come on small pallets not much wider then the transmission it's self. Bound down with either webb straps or metal banding.

Unless this TH350 is some special rebuild, it's not worth the cost of frieght. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Yeah that's kind of what I'm thinking....expensive to ship, kind of like shipping tires--

Terry

Reply to
Terry

Tires them selfs are not that much to ship. The Postial Service will do tires. It's the wheels that are costly due to weight. Mounted tires do cost a good bit to ship. Especially if some idiot doesn't deflate them first. Compressed air does have weight. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Yes actually I was thinking of tires mounted on rims...I have a set of rally rims w/ tires, shipping costs were as much as they were worth....seems a shame, with so many semi trucks going from city to city, that there's no way to link up with a semi driver and have them deliver for less...

Terry M.

Reply to
Terry

You would think knowing trucks it would be super easy to conn one in to doing that for you. Yet its not. Most companies do not want a driver adding extra loads. Some will fire a driver for that.

Even my one customer who owns his own truck could. He contracts with a broker. The broker tells him where to go, what trailer to pick up and where to take it. He doesn't even have a trailer of his own.

When shipping Less Then a Truck Load (LTTL or LTL) you can get better rates using a frieght broker that speacilizes in that.

When it comes to the rally's, Dismount the tires. 14 inch tires are not that much cost wise. Where as 14x6 or 14x7 rally's in even usable shape are getting harder to find. If they really want the tires, ship them dismounted.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

-- good idea thanks--