Advice with getting another car.....

Hey everyone...

I found an '82 T/A that is in decent condition. Its got T-tops, little rust, a 350 out of a 79 GMC truck.. that he said he thinks might be cracked.. he started it up and ran and sounded good.. anyway.. its got a new Turbo 350 tranny. He wants 2 grand.. but said its not firm.. so I'm thinking he might take 1200 or 1500. Anyway.. I have a rebuilt 350 bored

60 over that I would swap into the car if I got it and put this engine in my '85 'Bird and sell that one off. This is where the problem lies....

The 'Bird has a 350 with a 5 speed, this T/A has a 350 and the Turbo 350 Auto. What problems am I looking at in putting the engine from the 'Bird into the T/A and visa versa? Are the motor mounts different? Am I looking into bellhousing problems? Problems with the clutch? What other parts/time/etc would need to be involved? What am I looking at for costs? I like the 5-speed.. but if I get this car, I would want to keep it the auto.

Then with the possible bad engine... what would be a good asking price (this is Wisconsin) for an '85 'Bird no t-tops, 350 (possibly bad), little rust, new tires, etc? Cause I don't think its really feasible to carry 4 cars at my age/income/experience/etc, I would have to sell it.

Any and ALL comments/suggestions/experiences/stories/etc are welcomed. Thanks.

-Geno

1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L auto w/T-tops (aka "Tazmaro") 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L auto w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L (360) 5-speed NO T-tops
Reply to
KITTvsKARR

You should stop buying every F-body that you come acrossed with a low price. If the owner of the car that you want to buy thinks that there might be a crack in the block, you can be pretty sure that it's there and that he caused the damage doing something stupid.

If I were you, I'd keep my car that is in the best condition or most attached to and sell the others. Then I'd concentrate on that one car until it was as fine a piece as I could make it. Then I'd go out looking for other Birds to buy and rebuild. If you have to keep another of the lot, that's ok too since you need a daily driver.

Think what you can accomplish with $1,500 by putting it into your favorite ride instead of buying another car that needs work. I'm thinking paint, or suspension rebuild, or long block rebuild, or interior replacement. Any of these is pretty much doable for $1,500 or so, and you'll be extra pleased that it was put towards perfecting your Bird.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

Nicely put. Thanks for the wake up call. Dennis... it's all yours..

-Geno

1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L auto w/T-tops (aka "Tazmaro") 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L auto w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L (360) 5-speed NO T-tops
Reply to
KITTvsKARR

Good to see you on the ng again. I agree with Ron.... another factor would be putting a questionable engine into your 'Bird', I know it's temping but it might be more effort than it's worth. In my experience sometimes you can get more $$ selling an engine separately from a car...sound like you have a lot of projects going!

Weren't you attending UW last year? are you still in school?

Terry M.

Reply to
Terry

Yeah, that was a factor I wasn't real happy about doing.... especially since I haven't done anything like that yet. Yeah.. I would love to have the time/place/ AND money to do some of the projects I want to do.. but since I am less than for munths from gradgeatin with my edumacation, LOL...I need to start REALLY trying to get a job first.. Hopefully the money and time will come then... a place would be nice too.... but I can't ask for too much all at once. But it would have been nice to get the T/A and get rid of the 'Bird.. so I would have all T-tops.. 2 running vehicles and a good project car (the formula)... but like Ron said, save my money and learn some self discipline..lol.. good luck and do one thing at a time.

-Geno

1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L auto w/T-tops (aka "Tazmaro") 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L auto w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L (360) 5-speed NO T-tops
Reply to
KITTvsKARR

Yeah do one thing at a time...that's what I always tell my wife. I think women can juggle many tasks at once, whereas men have to concentrate on one thing until it's done..mabye you do need to focus on one thing lol!

Good luck on the job market. Since I'm a teacher in the UW system, I work with lots of people in your shoes, seems like almost everyone who has good common sense can land a very good $$$ job. At least if you get going w/ a career you'll have the cash on hand to do your car hobby RIGHT instead of doing everything as cheap as possible-- I've been there.

Terry M.

Reply to
Terry

Yeah... I am not expecting a high paying job for a few years.... from what I understand it takes an average of 10 years to start getting a "decent" wage in the communication technologies department. Not sure if I want to go TV, Radio, Web-design, or Graphics yet though... but right now I just want a job to get the ball rolling. Then TRY to be patient... as you can tell I am no where near a patient guy... another vurtue I have to learn... And then like you said, when I acquire the funds necessary to do the job right the FIRST time... I can. and I want to do a full ground up restoration on my Formula... and with my LIMITED experience and knowledge (and money) it is going to take some time to get that done. Some day I would LOVE to create a T-Top convertable.. but something tells me I would be better off buying a Mclaren F-1 with the money then dumping it into a project like that....but we'll see... it would be a one of a kind car though...

-Geno

1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L auto w/T-tops (aka "Tazmaro") 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L auto w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L (360) 5-speed NO T-tops
Reply to
KITTvsKARR

...This is getting slightly OT since you asked for car advice not career advice but.... I think any of those careers would be good depending on where you think your talent really is. I think that's the biggest secret to a successful career-- if your job matches your interests and talents, you will have a great career and life. I have two good friends (they are a married couple), they are BOTH in TV/radio, it's famous for being low-paying, which they are always joking about, but like you say you can work your way up. The guy now works for public television in the twin cities, his wife is now a Dean of instructional technology at the tech school. With 2 incomes and no kids they are doing ok now.

If you're an impatient personality-type and always have to be on the move, tv/radio might be perfect because you'd always be doing different assignments in different places instead of sitting in an office all the time. Lots of variety. Web design seems to be very competitive, there are lots of people in that field, so you have to be really good, and also willing to sit in front of a computer all day. Same with graphics, although I'm not really sure what the job picture is for graphic design. I'd think you have to be really good to get a good paying job.

You could always start with an internship, you might already have done one of those...you'd find out real fast if you like the work that you can observe while doing an internship....and also you might meet someone who could give you a job-- just some ideas-- Terry M.

Reply to
Terry